Chapter Five

Kat was sitting at the kitchen table in the Byers household, watching Lonnie

Kat was sitting at the kitchen table in the Byers household, watching Lonnie. Wanted to be far from him but also wanted to keep him in her eyesight, not trusting him for a single moment. Knowing his return would not bring anything good, it didn't help that he sort of walked into a situation. Her mind still going around in circles that Will was in another world that was like their own but it was scarier; and that everything El had said was true. She needed to talk to her brother and share what she had found out; hopefully, he and the party have also found out new information. Maybe together they could figure out a way to get him out.

Kat's eyes kept flickering at the clock, hoping Jonathan would get back to the house soon. Hearing the car pull up, she stood up and slowly moved towards the doorway to the kitchen, stepping there as he opened the front door. "What happened? Mom...that thing you saw before, did it come back?" Jonathan's voice rang out.

Kat watched Jonathan, gauging his reaction to Lonnie being back in the picture. Lonnie pulled Jonathan to the side. "Look, I know you're upset. We all are. But you need to listen to me. Your mother is sick. Really sick. She took down that wall with an ax, she said that Will was inside and that he was talking to her."

"He was! I was there!" Kat said joining the two men, her arms crossing tightly over her chest.

Lonnie ignored her as he looked at his eldest son. "This isn't some kind of joke. Your mom was half frozen to death when I got here." Kat looked at him with disbelief. "She was trembling, scared out of her mind. You two come in here and you start feeding into her hallucinations or whatever the hell you want to call it, you're going to push her right over the edge. Do you hear me?" Lonnie sighs like he was calming himself down. "Look, I'm on your side. I'm here to help. I'm going to make things better around here for all of us."

Jonathan and Kat both scoffed, ignoring them Lonnie continued. "Do me a favor; at the funeral tomorrow, just behave. If not for me, for your mother."

Lonnie moved away from the teenagers and moved back toward Joyce. Jonathan motioned for Kat to follow him, leading her to his bedroom so that they could talk. Closing the door behind her. "I heard him, Jonathan; he's alive! It's hard to explain, but I heard the creature too. Your mom's not lying. She's not crazy! You have to believe us."

Jonathan pulled a photo out of his bag and handed it to Kat. Looking at the photo, she saw the creature that Joyce had described. "I believe. That....creature took my brother, possibly Barb as well."

Kat snapped her head up with the new information. "Barbs missing?"

Jonathan nodded his head. "This is the last photo of Barb Holland."

Kat sat down on the bed, still holding onto the photo. "Fuck."

Jonathan sat down beside her. The pair was quiet before he broke the silence. "I want to apologize for the picture. I promise I wasn't trying to be creepy or anything. I really wasn't thinking, and nothing I can say will excuse what I did. --- I shouldn't have done it, besides Will, you are my only friend. I crossed a line and I hope you can forgive me one day."