Chapter Three

All night all Kat could think of was El and her superpowers, and the fact that El is another mystery that has been added to this whole mess

All night all Kat could think of was El and her superpowers, and the fact that El is another mystery that has been added to this whole mess. She knew that it couldn't be a coincidence, nothing ever happens in Hawkins. Since she wasn't getting much sleep for the second night in a row, she took her time getting ready for school; knowing that Dustin was going to leave before her to head over to Mike's. Kat made up a backpack for El, full of clothes and some items she had lying around when she was younger, just something for the girl so she wouldn't be stuck wearing Mike's stuff.

Knocking on his bedroom door she waited to hear him say come in, as she did, she held up the blue backpack. "Give this to El, she needs something besides Mike's sweats."

"Why don't you just come with?" Dustin asked as he faced his sister, making it the most obvious question.

Kat shook her head placing the back on his bed. "Can't, I have to be at school early. Algebra test, you know how mom has been on my ass about it. If I want to be able to drive in the near future, I have to pass this class." She patted his head before heading back out, getting breakfast started.

Not long after Kat was at school, leaning against her locker, trying to get in some last-minute studying; even though she hadn't studied at all in the last two days. At this point, she was just hoping for a small miracle. Though if she was being honest with herself, she could have just asked Dustin to help her on the subject but her pride wouldn't let her make that mistake.

Tommy, Carol, and Steve walked past her at some point. "Oh, look it's one of the town's weirdos," Carol muttered loudly.

Kat looked up from her notes. "HA-HA-HA. And I thought my jokes were bad. That's the best you can do?"

She closed her locker before bumping her shoulder into Steve as she walked past; just wanting to get this test over in second period. Having to deal with those three was not on her list first thing in the morning, and it pushed the idea of why she never liked getting to school early.

Midway through the school day, she was walking to another class when she was approached by Nancy who looked a little worried. "Hey, Kat. Have you seen Barb? I know you don't have any classes together, but have you seen at least seen her?"

Kat tried to recall if she had seen the tall ginger. "Nope, normally I would see her between second and third period. Maybe she's sick, the stomach bug is going around."

As the school day ended without any more issues, Kat wished she could have been a little more excited, because even though the school stress was done for the day, she now had the stress of the mystery of Hawkins. Her mind goes back to El and wonders what the boys had discovered as of this morning. She was taken out of her thoughts when she saw a commotion in the parking lot between Jonathan and Steve's clique.

Kat as walked towards the group; she watched how Jonathan went to move past them but Tommy was able to grab his bag. Tommy then tossed the bag to Steve who then took out some pictures from Jonathan's bookbag.

She arrived at the group at the same time as Nancy. Both girls looked equally confused about what was going on. "What's going on?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah, I'd like to know as well," Kat asked as she looked back and forth between Jonathan and Steve.

Tommy looked at both girls, a gross smile playing on his face, his eyes lingered on Kat a little too long. "Here's the starring ladies."

Carol's eyes were locked onto Jonathan. "This creep was spying on us last night. He's been spying on you as well Kat. Was probably gonna save this one for later." She then handed two pictures to Nancy.

Nancy took the photos before looking at the other one and then back at Kat, she then handed the photos to Kat. The first photo was of Nancy with her back to the window and she was undressing; flipping to the second picture, it was of Kat in her bedroom in just a towel. Kat didn't want to look up at her friend, she did hand Nancy the photo of her.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Steve move towards Jonathan. "See, you can tell that he knows it was wrong that's why he's so quiet, but...man, that's the thing about perverts...it's hardwired into 'em. You know, they can't help themselves." Steve then proceeded to rip the remaining photos up. " So... we'll just have to take away his toy."

"No, please, not the camera." Jonathan realized that Tommy was grabbing his camera out of the bag, he was about to hand the camera to Steve. Kat pulled her eyes away from the photo and back toward Steve and his friends.

"No, no, wait, wait...Tommy, Tommy. It's okay. Here you go, man." Steve held out Jonathan's camera, just as Jonathan reached out for it, Steve dropped it. Shattering on impact. "Come on, let's go. The game's about to start." He said to his friends signaling them to leave. Carol dumped the ripped-up photos on the ground on the shattered camera.

Kat continued to stand there as Nancy kneeled and collected some of the photos before following Steve. Leaving Kat alone with Jonathan in the parking lot. Jonathan looked at Kat. "Kat...I'm...It's not what it looked like." He said from the ground with his shattered camera.

"Then explain why my friend is taking pictures of me while I'm in a towel, without my permission. And let's not forget you were being creepy in the woods on top of that as well. How are you going to explain that? Did you think you weren't going to get caught? Because I honestly can't think of any reason why you would do that." She looked down at him. "You are my friend, hell most likely my best friend. How am I supposed to trust you after this? You've violated Nancy and me in a way you don't understand! This is beyond creepy Jonathan!"

Kat moved to walk away, but Jonathan wasn't done. "Kat, wait...I know it did wrong, I wasn't thinking at the moment."

"That makes it sound so much worse!" She took a deep breath. "I need time, Jonathan...Just leave me alone."

By the time Kat was supposed to meet up with the party, but by the time she finally made it to the middle school they had already taken off to who knows where. She could have gone over to Mike's house, knowing that is probably where they went. With everything going on and with today's discovery, Kat wanted to shut her brain off just for a moment. Needed time to try and gather all her thoughts together. She didn't want to go home and she couldn't find the party, so she decided to head over to the local diner and get a strawberry milkshake.

Sitting beside the window, absently staring out as the day got later, her attention was grabbed and so was every other patron in the diner when three police cars with their sirens on drove past. The only thing in the direction they were heading was the Sattler Quarry. Her heart dropped at what it meant.