Chapter Fourteen

Hours had gone by before Dustin returned, the sky darkening as nighttime quickly approached; the fact that she hadn't heard from anyone all day was getting on Kat's nerves

Hours had gone by before Dustin returned, the sky darkening as nighttime quickly approached; the fact that she hadn't heard from anyone all day was getting on Kat's nerves. So, she was more than surprised to see him return in Steve's car. Her eyes flickered back and forth between the two, wanting any type of explanation, as Steve was the last person she expected to see. She watched as Steve went around and grabbed the spiked bat out of the trunk of his car, slamming it down to look at the Henderson siblings. With hands on her hips, she looked back and forth between the two, confused.

"Why can't Kat take care of it?" Steve asked gesturing towards Kat with his free hand.

"Because the last time she faced one her leg got mangled. Plus, it's better to have some backup." Dustin answered like it was the obvious answer.

Kat flicked off her brother before turning her attention to Steve; Steve rolled his eyes at Dustin as well. "It's been silent for the last thirty minutes or so," Kat told them as she and Dustin led Steve around toward the storm cellar; Dustin pointed at it and told him that it was down there as Kat held out the key to the lock, she then picked up the ax that she had beside it.

"Woah, where do you think you're going?" Steve stuck an arm out to stop her from moving toward the cellar.

"You are not going down there alone."

Dustin pulled on her arm, "Sit this one out for once. Steve needs this more than you do at the moment."

Rolling her eyes, she took a graceful step back as she motioned with her hands. "Go ahead."

Steve hit it a few times with the bat, there was no noise on the other side. Steve pointed his flashlight at Dustin. "All right, listen, kid. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead."

"It's not. Trust me on that one. It's a baby demogorgon; that face still haunts my nightmares." Kat crossed her arms, shivering from the horrible memory.

Steve used the key and unlocked the cellar, opening the doors all the way, and looking back at Kat for a brief moment. Nothing could be heard from the bottom; Steve pointed the flashlight at the bottom but nothing could be seen either. "He must be further down there." Dustin took notice.

Steve sighed loudly before heading down; Kat had her ax ready in case it tried to escape as she stood protectively in front of Dustin. The siblings waited together in silence as they waited for Steve. Dustin started to get a little worried for the other boy.

"Steve? Steve, what's going on down there?" he asked as he inched towards the entrance even though Kat was holding him back.

Both Hendersons jumped with the flashlight pointed at their faces. "Get down here."

They quickly made their way down into the cellar, on the end of the bat was Dart's fleshy skin. Meaning it shed itself again. "Oh, shit," Dustin muttered.