Chapter Twenty-Three

"Fuck it," Kat muttered as she and the kids walked past the receptionist who was yelling at them

"Fuck it," Kat muttered as she and the kids walked past the receptionist who was yelling at them. "Hey, hey, hey! Two at a time!"

Walking towards the elevator, Max pressed the button but the group was too impatient to wait so Mike suggested the stairs. Kat's taking them two at a time, leaving the kids to catch up to her. Getting closer they started to hear the distant roaring. Once they were at the door, El flung it open. The monster turned its attention to them and roared.

"Jesus!" "What the fuck!" Mika, Max, and Kat all said at the same time. The spider-like monster charged El, who used her powers to fling it from wall to wall. El slams the monster into the ceiling but it managed to get back up and start charging at them again. Her nose was bleeding heavily now as she used all of her strength and forced it out of the window.

The kids ran off while Kat ran over to Nancy and Jonathan. "Stupid question; but are you guys okay?" Kat looked back and forth between them. The two teenagers looked at each other before nodding their heads at her question. "Can we gather ourselves and head out? I'm more positive the receptionist is going to call the cops on us any moment if she hasn't done so already."

With that motivation the three teenagers ran out of the hospital, meeting up with the kids out front. Max and Lucas showed them where the black goo disappeared and that it left behind human bones. Kat ushered everyone to the car as she really did not want to deal with any police for the night. "Where should we go?" Nancy called out from the driver's seat.

"Hoppers. It's the only place no one would look for us." Kat called out from the back. El looked back at her, nodding in agreement. It was the only logical place Kat could honestly think of at the moment, the only place that also wouldn't endanger any of their families. Plus, it would be the first place Hopper would look for them.

Pulling up to the cabin, Kat made sure to grab her ax this time as Nancy and Jonathan got all the kids into the house. Nancy gave Kat a look once she saw the ax in her hands, "Hey the one time I needed it, didn't have it. It's better to be safe." Nancy rolled her eyes as Kat walked past her; the older girl placing the ax on the kitchen table, making sure to keep it close to her at all times.

The group has managed to get some sleep in; Jonathan, Nancy, and Kat taking shifts in keeping watch. With the Mind Flayer back and taking over anybody and everybody, they had to keep watch. Staying in the kitchen for most of the night and early morning, Kat made breakfast for everyone with what Hopper had in his fridge. For once she was happy her brother wasn't there as he would have wanted more food than she could possibly make.

Sitting crossed-legged in her bedroom, El kept going into the void, trying to find the flayed; all the clues sat around her as she used them to help search for all the victims. Mike sat at the kitchen table with Max and Lucas as they looked over towards the door to El's bedroom.

"It can't be good for her to be in there for this long."

Max groaned softly, "Mike, you need to relax."