Chapter Thirty

Kat, Nancy, and Robin arrived at the high school and found Steve and the others standing in Ms

Kat, Nancy, and Robin arrived at the high school and found Steve and the others standing in Ms. Kelley's office. Max informed them that she spotted a huge grandfather clock at the end of the hallway. Taking them exactly where she saw the clock. "It was here. -- Right here." Max said pointing with her flashlight where the clock was.

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asked with a hint of confusion.

"It was so real. And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just..." Max said as she got lost in what happened.

Kat looked at Steve and the others. "Max?" She asked the younger girl.

Steve and Dustin shared a look. "It was like she was in a trance or something."

"Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy." Dustin pointed it out to the others. The group made their way back to Ms. Kelley's office before Max sat in front of the open files.

Max pointed to all of the file notes. "That's not even the bad part. Fred and Chrissy; they both came to Miss Kelley for help." Max looked up at the other. "Uh, they both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. - They'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions, they just... they kept on getting worse and worse, until eventually, everything ended."

"Vecna's curse," Dustin whispered loudly.

Max ignored him and continued. "Chrissy's headache started a week ago. Fred's, six days ago. -- I've been having them for five days. I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock, so looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow."

Kat shook her head, not accepting that Max was now marked by Vecna. "That's not gonna happen, I refuse to let it happen," Kat said with determination. She looked over at Nancy, both girls had a look of determination. Before anyone could reply, a sound echoed down the empty school hallway.

Steve looked over at everyone in the room. "Stay here," he ordered as he grabbed a lamp and made his way out of the office.

The group didn't listen to him as they followed him out, his words earlier of being separated echoed in Kat's mind. As they slowly followed him, Dustin pointed his flashlight, and they all screamed when it was Lucas who turned the corner. "It's me!" Lucas cried out.

"Lucas?" Steve yelled as he was trying to calm himself down.

Lucas cried out. "It's me!"

"Jesus, what's wrong with you?" Steve yelled out as he lowered the lamp. "I could've taken you out with this lamp!"

Lucas was trying to catch his breath. "Sorry, guys. Sorry. I was...I was biking for eight miles. Give me a second."

Kat had her hand over her heart. "Fucking hell!"