Edgar woke up in a flurry, breathing heavy and sweat dripping down his back. He ran his fingers through his brunette hair, oily and sweaty as well. He looked around, seeing the familiar decoration of his room and that he was in a nice warm bed. He nodded himself. That's right... I'm back at home.... He sighed but pulled his legs to him, trying to calm himself down. He may have been able to bring himself and Higgs home physically, but mentally and emotionally there was so much more going on between the two. If he was having a hard time, he could even imagine what Higgs was going through. Edgar had only been in that hellhole for a about a week and that was enough to cause nightmares and panic attacks. Thinking about what he had seen and heard, he suddenly felt sick and got up slowly, finding the chamber pot to vomit in.

There was a small knock on the door but it opened without him saying anything. Merida Dunbrough stuck her head in but when she saw Edgar throwing up in the chamber pot, she walked over to him and knelt beside him, rubbing his back softly.

"Ye alright, lad?" she asked softly in her Scottish brogue.

Hearing her voice was enough to verify that he was home but the memories... He heaved another time and then leaned onto the woman he loved as a mother.

"Bad dream..." he said softly.

"Must have been muckle upsetting."

"Just... stuff that happened... Mr. Higgs is a strong person to have endured as long as he did without completely losing his mind."

"Now that it's all settled, I wouldnae be too sure. We willnae ken it until he wakes up and an it's anything like the last time, it will eventually show. I donnae ken he's well at all... Ye ken his arm is hurt and his leg is broken?"

"I had a feeling there was something wrong with his leg when we were leaving but I didn't pay attention. I just wanted to leave."

Merida pulled the chamber pot from his hands and made him stand up with her. She pulled him into a full hug and he buried his face in her wild curly red hair.

"I'm sorry I yelled at ye."

"Me too."

"Ye have everra right to it. Ye've been the only one to take action when no one else wanted to. It stings for a wee bit, but in the end, ye were right." She pulled away from him. "Somehow ye have the right balance to barge into a problem but do it with such legality. I'm verra proud of ye... but I'm still upset ye did that. Now you're hurting as weel."

"Aye, but Mr. Higgs isn't anymore."

Merida smiled. "Aye, that be true."

"How is he?"

"He's still out cold. The Drs. Grave had to reset his broken bone and other than him screaming about the pain, he hasnae woken up."

Edgar nodded as Merida started to leave. "Wait!" he yelled, grabbing her hand. "Can... will you stay with me? Please? I don't want to be alone."

Merida nodded as they walked back to the bed. Edgar got in as Merida got in beside him and he snuggled up to her as she kissed the top of his head.

"Ye stink. Get ye a bath an ye can." Edgar just smiled as she laid her head on his. "Arenae ye too old for this, lad?"

"May be, but I know that if anyone can keep me safe from my nightmares, it's you."

"That bad?"

"I don't know the extent of what happened before I got there, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it had to be ten times worse than what I experienced. What I heard... what I caught glimpses of... Mama, there's no way that anyone could endure the time Mr. Higgs had been there and come out unscathed. I was only there for a tiny bit of time and... and I'm not alright. He will never be the same."