A week went by and even though Higgs was recovering physically, it seemed like it was slow going for his mental recovery. Fearghas really didn't know what to do. He and Coinneach were not suited for deep understanding of the human psyche or when that psyche was shattered. Fearghas wasn't that kind of doctor. He was used to telling people what they needed and hearing straight forward answers to his questions, not having the delve into the deep depths of someone's soul. Coinneach was just as bad but would listen if you needed it and would help you, but you have to do it yourself. He wasn't going to pull it out of you. He felt it wasn't his business.

That being said, as Fearghas came down for breakfast every morning, he would find Higgs curled up in a ball staring at the wall. He didn't want to eat, so he usually had to be forced. This morning, though, Higgs was sitting up.

"Are ye coming out of yer spell?"

Higgs looked at him with a tired expression.

"Not really..."

Fearghas sighed, not sure what to do about him. He grabbed a pan and lit the stove so he could cook some breakfast.

"Are ye hungry?"

"Not really."

"Would ye eat an I make ye a small plate?"

"Depends on what it was, I guess."

"Eggs and bacon, most like."

Higgs was going to say that he wasn't hungry but his stomach betrayed him and let out a low growl of disapproval. He couldn't punish himself any longer...

"Eggs, I guess."

Fearghas nodded. "How's yer leg?"

"I'm still in pain, if that's what you're asking."

"Never said ye werenae, just asking how ye feel."

"It's not as sharp as it was but it's still painful."

"Good... Can I ask ye something?"

"If you like..."

"Do ye love my sister?"

Higgs' eyes narrowed. "Of course."

"Then... Why do ye do what ye do to her?"

"What do you mean?"

Fearghas moved his glasses, not sure how to express what he was trying to say.

"Merida is not like other women. She was raised by three warriors in the last part of the wars. She had to take care of herself, harden her heart at times, and see things no lass her age should see. Instead of making her callous like us, it did something different to her: it made her have a sense of compassion and understanding that we couldnae fathom. She's brash and a besom at times but through it, she has love and empathy. When she first sent word of living with ye, I kenned it would be a normal relationship between a laird and a maid but the more letters we got, it was obvious the relationship was... different. She painted ye as a kind and caring man who was haunted by his past and suppressed by the curse he was given at birth, but the more letters we got, the more I could tell something wasnae right. She would talk about all the things she did for ye, all the trials she had to face, but there wasnae much she said about the reward or thanks she got from ye-"

"Are you saying that I am ungrateful to her?" Higgs growled, looking at Fearghas with a fierce expression. It was the first hint of anything but sorrow Higgs had shown. "Is that what you're insinuating?"

"Am I wrong?"

"I have a feeling Merida didn't tell you every detail of our lives. From how I see it, it would have bored you to know such details."