"Mummy, look! A spider!" a small child's voice rang out just as Merida and Coinneach stepped out of the house.

A little girl with her hair in a long braid was running up the road towards Higgs, her mother running after her.

"Leith! LEITH!" the woman screamed.

The little girl, Leith, wasn't having it, and she ignored her mother as she ran straight to Higgs. Once she got there, she giggled as she slammed into one of Mr. Higgs' legs. She knocked the wind out of herself for a second as Higgs used another leg to keep her upright. Once she got her breath back she grinned, hugging his leg.

"Yer leg is so cool and hard. And pointy!" she yelled, pointing at the end of the leg.

Higgs was afraid to move while she was holding on to him and he looked around for some help. It was obvious the child wasn't afraid of him but he didn't know what to do with her. Not very many people touched his transformed parts, so he was a little awkward. The little girl's mother finally got to them and stopped just in front of Higgs, leaning over on her knees.

"Leith McFaddon, get yer ass back here. What is wrong with ye, child?"

"But Mummy, it's a big spider-man!"

"Oi! That's a monster. Get over here before it tries to hurt ye."

"She's fine, Nelly." Merida said, coming around Higgs' other side. "It's just Higgs."

As she said it, she realized she had just done what Higgs had asked her not to and she snapped her mouth shut, looking at Higgs. He didn't seem perturbed, just still a little confused. Let him take it from here, Merida. Ye need to respect him and allow him time...

"Just nothing! What the devil is that thing?" Neilina yelled, still reaching out for her daughter.

"I'm an Arachne..." Higgs said quietly.

Neilina had finally inched her way to her daughter and yanked her from Higgs' leg. Higgs moved so he would be behind Merida, not that she could have done anything. Higgs felt stupid. He had just told her how much he was going to change and that he didn't need her help and yet, there he was, trying to hide behind her again. What progress... he mocked to himself.

"What's going on here? I came to visit ye but instead I find that monstrosity in yer yard-"

"I- I'm not a monstrosity." Higgs said, swallowing hard. "I'm just... I'm just cursed. I didn't ask for this... I'm not going to hurt anyone."

Neilina stared up at Higgs in fear and Higgs tried to look like he was confident but also not scare the women further with his eight eyes glaring at her. Leith, on the other hand, was trying to get down from her mother's arms.

"Mummy, I want to play with the big spider. Can I ride it?"

Coinneach couldn't keep a straight face as he looked at Merida. Merida was smiling as well and she looked at Higgs.

"Weel? Can she ride ye?"

"Absolutely not." He said quietly. "Not this form."

"Does yer tushy turn into other thingies?!" she yelled, her big hazel eyes full of hope and wonder. "Can I ride one of those?"

"Leith; enough, lass. Cannae ye see that ye're making the... thing uncomfortable?"

"I ken he's scared, Mummy. Ye scared him because ye called him a monster. He's just a big spider, not a monster."

Merida smiled. "Is this yer youngin?"

"Aye, tis Leith. She'll be six come this summer."

"What's yer name, Mr. Spider Tushy? Can I shake yer hand?"