Early the next morning, there was knock on the door of the mansion. Marlow opened the door and found Davros standing there.

"Mr. McClavish? To what do I owe the pleasure?" she said, batting her eyes a little.

Although there was a bit of an age gap between the two, Marlow had always thought that Davros was quite dashing. Davros, on the other hand, had nothing against Marlow, but he wasn't of the sort for romance. There were too many things to deal with regarding his lord and trying to juggle a wife seemed a bit much for him.

"Top o' the mornin' ta ya, Ms. Marlow. I'm here ta help bring Master Higgs down ta the carriage."

"That's mighty sweet of you. I'll go wake up Merida right now. There's some scones in the kitchen if you'd like to eat while you wait?"

"Much obliged." He said, stepping into the foyer. "I havenae eaten as o' yet, so I may take ya up on that offer."

"Please do! There is clotted cream and jam in the refrigerator and the milk man just came."

"Thank ya."

Marlow smiled and then went up to wake Merida and Edgar.

*******************

After eating with Davros, it was time to try and move Higgs into the carriage and be on their way. Marlow helped Merida get into a coat as she waited downstairs for Davros and Edgar.

"Does Mr. McClavish have anyone he fancies?" Marlow asked.

"Not that I know of... Why?"

"Just wondering."

Merida smiled. "Ye fancy Davros then?"

"A bit... I don't think he really likes me that much though."

"Davros has a lot on his mind. He's been with the Northumberlys since he was a child and is close to Jami like a third brother, so he gets wrapped up in their dealings more often than he would like, I ken."

"I see... Well, since we will be shutting the manor down until you all return, I guess I will have more time to get to know him."

"Aye, ye could, but I dinnae ken ye'll like waiting for that long. Man's been a bachelor for a good while and I dinnae ken he'll want to change that soon. But, I give ye my prayers in breaking the ice."

Marlow frowned. "You're no fun."

"I just dinnae want yer hopes dashed."

Marlow nodded and then grabbed Merida's hand, holding it for a moment.

"I just wanted to say that working here has been the best thing I could have ever hoped for. Mr. Higgs pays well, you are an attentive lady, and you both care that I have a family that I miss and sometimes want to visit. Most employers don't do that much, so I wanted to thank you."

"Ye're verra welcome, Marlow. And thank ye for being willing to come into this crazy world of ours. I ken it hasnae been easy with a minimal staff to work with and me and Mr. Higgs' odd relationship, but ye have stuck it out and I have to praise ye for it." Merida sighed. "In all honesty, I'm sad that Gretchen isnae here with ye. After everrathing that happened, I was going to ask an she would like to serve us again to give ye a bit of help, but..."

"I would have loved to have had her here as well. We will meet again soon, of course, but I will still miss you very much. I hope Mr. Higgs a speedy recovery and you a healthy delivery. By the time you get back, you'll be needing more than just us handful of help."

"How about I let ye look for some worthy candidates for when we return, eh?"

"Ma'am?"

"Ma, open the door!" Edgar yelled from the stairs.