A week went by and Higgs was allowed to have the sling taken off of him, but he was pretty much bound to the bed. It was very annoying for him because he didn't like sleeping on his back. Merida wanted to visit him but usually never made it past the door, but Edgar updated her on his recovery and wellbeing every day. Now that Higgs had returned, those who came to help had to say their goodbyes.

***************

"Goodbye, Merida. I wish we could stay longer, but we need to get back to figure out our place. Plus, I don't think Kans likes not being able to fly around. At least in the country he can spread his wings." Catherine said, looking up at her husband.

Merida smiled and they hugged as Kans nudged her back. She hugged his muzzle as he gave a small rumble.

"I'll miss ye both. Ye were so good to me during this time."

"When things get settled, ya should come see the house. Then again, ya may be bringin' more than just ya and Higgs with ya." She said with a smile as she looked at Merida's now very noticeable stomach.

Merida smiled a little, rubbing her arm. "I'm a bit afeart about that."

"That's a first."

"I'm not afeart of the transformations but about how Higgs will react to them. So far, whatever Elizabeth did to him makes it hard for him to comprehend I'm me and, weel... an he sees me with child..."

"I believe Edgar is doin' a fine job helpin' Higgs recover back to his normal self. He's done great improvement. He hasn't forgotten ya, love, it's just been tainted bad. If anyone can paint ya in a good light, it's that lad. He'll have it fixed in no time. As for yar babe, it'll be a slow progression."

Merida sighed. "I guess."

"An it gets too much for ya, ya can always come to our house. Open door invitation."

"Thank ye. Are ye going to fly back on him?" she asked, looking at Kans.

"Uh... well, that's up to him. Donnae really like heights." Kans snuffed a little and started to walk away. "Best be goin'. Take care, Merida."

She waved as Catherine met up with Kans up the road. It looked like she was talking to him when he lowered his head to her. She looked skeptical but climbed atop his head and then Kans took off, seeming to glide low to the ground for Catherine's benefit. Merida watched them for a moment and then walked back over to the rest of the Northumberlys to see them off. Radek smiled stiffly at her as their eyes met.

"Ms. Dunbrough."

"Mm."

"I don't want to depart on ill will."

"I honestly cannae look at ye right now. Ye made me out to be almost as bad as Elizabeth, do ye ken that? Because of her emotions, she couldnae just let things go as they were. She delved into her deepest desires and now look where we are. Ye saying what ye did puts me in the same league as that crazy bitch." She lifted a red eyebrow. "Ye ken it?"

"Aye." He said, dejected.

"And I'm more mad at Boston than ye. Ever since we met, he has sometimes thought of me as some sort of loose cannon that cannae control a bit of my wits. I get muckle heated and loud and say what I want to do, but I rarely need to fulfill any threats because whoever I'm talking to gets the point. And even when I do act, there's very few occasions when I resort of violence."

"I just don't think Boston will ever get used to a very, very outspoken and opinionated woman such as yourself. You are a very interesting woman, not at all like the ones groomed for perfection in the ton, and he was raised to expect submissiveness in almost every way with a woman. Us Northumberlys aren't exactly the most socially correct family just due to the nature of our beings. We lead mostly reclusive lives to keep out of the way of prying eyes and downing individuals. Our men have emotional problems that we are fine with openly dealing with whereas men of our same caliber and status have to hide those feelings to keep from seeming weak. The women in our lives have to be a little stronger than the normal dainty, submissive women around us. As much as Lucas has tried, Boston still grew up with society's expectations and I've heard Fuchsia has her own issues with him due to that fact."