After the stop at the inn, the next day they headed out to finish the remainder of the journey. Edgar didn't say anything about overhearing the conversation between Merida and Higgs, but he could tell that this second confirmation of what he said had taken a major blow to Merida. Once they got to a stopping point, he really couldn't take it anymore and decided to tell her he had overheard Higgs.

***************************

"Ma?"

"Hmm?"

"I heard... last night with you and Mr. Higgs."

"Eavesdropping, I see..." she said casually.

"I didn't mean to. I came back with supplies and overheard you guys. I didn't want to interrupt."

"I see."

"What are we going to do? There's got to be another explanation for what's happening, Ma."

"What explanation is there, pet? Man's got a right to hate me for things that's happened or been made worse because of me. I cannae blame him for wanting me out of his life."

"It just doesn't make sense. How could someone who was so worried about loving you for four years that he had a complete meltdown when he realized he was wrong, and then decided to avoid it at all costs suddenly tell you that it was your fault? I think there's something that's not connecting..."

"Weel, ye are more than welcome to tie the strings of that mystery, lovey. I'm tired and sore and I just want to hurry up and get to Ballachulish, help Mr. Higgs get better, and go about my day."

"And what about when he gets better? Merida, you know that he's most likely not going to remember what he's said and if you're-"

"Edgar. We will cross that bridge when it comes to it. Right now, let's focus on getting where we need to go and getting Mr. Higgs the help he needs. As I have said before, it's not like I dinnae love the man but... I cannae sit around and waste time on hopes and dreams anymore. I have bairns to think about that are real and I dinnae ken what their future will be. When Mr. Higgs is healthy and able to think straight, we can address this topic again but... even if that were the case, it will take a lot more than regret to fill this void. Ye ken I dinnae give up easy but this... this is too much for even me."

Edgar pouted but he knew Merida was right. No one was in their right mind to discuss anything of significance and Higgs was definitely the one who needed to do the explanations. Without a clear thought to work with, all that was left was speculation and Edgar honestly didn't feel like riffling through the silly thoughts of a doped up man to try and rectify those speculations. He put the subject to rest.

***************************

The rest of the journey was somewhat normal and pleasant. They stopped every now and then to check on Higgs, who was content in his little bed, and talked discursively about what would happen once they got to Merida's village. She spoke of some more stories regarding her brothers and other things that made Edgar all the more excited to meet Merida's family and to get to their destination.

Finally, after a day and half, there was a sign up ahead that said that they were entering Glencoe and Merida grinned big.

"We're only half an hour away, lad."

"I'm so excited!"

"Aye, me too. Although I dinnae ken my brothers will be with they get a look at my belly." She said, looking down at her stomach. "Wheesht, it's only been a few days and I feel like I've grown so much."

"Will we need to set up at an inn or anything? Is there an inn?"

Merida made a face at him. "Oi, the war is over; we dinnae live in tents and nomad about anymore. There's plenty of places to stay in as well as my brother's house... if they all live together still. We're simple, not destitute; and we make the best haggis ye will ever eat."