The Broken Artifact of the Barbarian

"So he just, left?" Steve sighed, rubbing his face in his hands. The two were putting returns back on the shelf, talking about the moment that had gone on earlier. "Yes! Honestly Rob, he looked like he wanted to cry. This morning he was happy and we were only away from each other for maybe twenty minutes."

Robin stopped, her eyebrows knitting together. "Rob?" She looked at him, "you don't think- you don't think he saw us in the car and thought we were, you know-" She ended with a sweet gesture of throwing up and Steve thought about it. "But Eddie knows you and I are just friends." Robin raised her eyebrows, "but isn't that what you and Eddie are too? Because I'm pretty sure you're the one who told me you weren't dating." Shit. Shit shit shit. She's right.

Steve's stomached dropped, "he was so upset Robin." He could feel his eyes burn but refused to let the tears come. "Hey, hey calm down Steve. It's going to be fine. Just talk to him about it after work. He'll listen to you, that man's obsessed with you." He gave her a small smile and finished putting the vhs's away going behind the counter and sitting down.

The door slammed open as Dustin stomped inside, almost making the small bell fall off. "What did you do to Eddie?" Steve shot up and looked around the room, "what the hell are you talking about Henderson?" Dustin slammed his hands down on the counter, his eyes burning holes in Steve's soul. "He called everyone and said we're not having D&D tonight! He sounded high off of his ass and I SWEAR I heard him say something about you before hanging up!" Steve started to worry about the other man, his mind running. "He never cancels Steve! Never!"

Steve slapped his hands on his face and rubbed it roughly. "We just had a misunderstanding! He's upset! I'm going to talk to him when I get off work." Dustin through his hands in the air and scoffed. "You can't! D&D starts at eight! He needs to be able to function before we get there Steve! Not an hour after!"

"I can't just leave Robin here by herself Henderson!" Right on time, Robin walked over to the counter and looked between the two. "I knew you two were shitty at whispering, but you do realize that this is a business establishment, right? You two idiots have been practically screaming at each other for ten minutes! Steve, there's no one here, just go. It's fine I promise." Steve gave her a 'I'll feel like shit if I leave you just to fix a problem that I made" face. "Steve, it's okay. You can make it up to me alright? Please just the both of you go before you drive away any customers we might get."

Steve went into the backroom and hung his vest up, sliding on Eddie's over his white shirt. "Come on Henderson, let's go." Dustin through his bike carelessly in the back of Steve's car and got in the passenger seat, buckling his belt before Steve peeled out of the parking lot.

"So, what are you guys fighting about?" Steve rolled his eyes, "we're not fighting. It's just a miscommunication."

"About what?"

"Nothing Henderson."

"Well it's obviously about something."

"Nothing that you need to know about then."

"Well why not?"

"Because Henderson, Eddie and I have seperate lives than the ones we live with you. We're adults, we go through things."

"Jesus fine. Don't tell me then."

Steve passed the trailer park and continued to Dustin's house. "Hey! You passed it dipshit!" He looked over a the younger kid, "you must be going insane. I'm not taking you to Eddie's with me just so you can listen to our conversation!"

"I don't want go because of that! I need to know he's okay Steve! I'm worried about him. He's been acting all different since you two became friends. One day he can't stop smiling and the next he's locking himself in his trailer away from everyone."

Dustin sounded genuinely worried about the other man and Steve's heart clenched. He pulled into Dustin's driveway and got out, pulling his bike out for him. He put a hand on Dustin's shoulder, "look Henderson, I'll call you whenever we're done talking. I promise I'll fix it and he'll be good to go for your dumb little club tonight." He tousled the younger boy's hair and got back into his car, speeding down the road.

'Munson! Where the hell are you?" Steve walked into the trailer and was hit with the smell of weed. He rolled his eyes and walked back to Eddie's room. "Now what the hell do you think you're doing canceling on your club?"

Eddie's head shot in the direction of Steve and turned back to the ceiling, taking a long drag out of the blunt in his hand. "I'm not in the mood." Steve scoffed, "you? Eddie Munson, are not in the mood to play your favorite game?" Eddie rolled his eyes and got up, putting the blunt out and brushing past Steve. "No Steve, I'm not in the fucking mood."

Steve was taken aback by the malice in Eddie's voice. "Eddie." The other man sat down on the couch, his head in his hands and grunted out "what?" Steve walked over and sat on the floor in front of him. "Do you want to tell me why you're mad. Or should I guess randomly till you get more pissed off?"

Eddie looked at him, his eyes bloodshot and dried tears on his face. "You know, I was right. I should've never dragged you into this. I'm always going to be a second choice to having a normal life and I let myself get hurt, again. I'm fucking over it Harrington and I'm done."

"You're telling me, you're trying to end our relationship, because of what you saw in the parking lot? Me and Robin. My best friend. Not that its my fucking room to tell you, she's gay Eddie." Steve stood up, "and if you're fine with ending all of this out of dumbass assumption. Then it's not worth it anyways." Steve ripped the vest off and threw it at Eddie, slamming the door on his way out and driving back to work.

Steve walked into the empty building and grabbed robin behind the counter and took her in to the backroom. "Hey- Steve! What's wrong?"

Steve sat on the couch and rubbed his hands over his face, tears starting to fall. "Hey Stevie, talk to me come on." She sat down next to him and put her arm around his shoulders, rubbing her hand over it. Steve laid his head down on her shoulder and started sobbing, tears falling uncontrollably as his heart started to break apart. "He- I went to his trailer. He was crying and smoking- I. I tried to explain- I got so upset Rob. I'm sorry! I told him you were- that you liked girls, I'm so so sorry Rob. He said he was done and that I've hurt him to much- I got so mad at him Robin, I was so angry I didn't mean it. He just seemed so okay with leaving and it hurt-."

She wrapped her other arm around him and put her head on top of his. "Okay, okay Steve. It's fine, it's gonna be okay. I promise I'm not mad at you for that." Steve started sobbing harder and was hiccuping between his words, "I told him- I told him that if he wanted- to leave so easily that- that he wasn't worth it! He's sensitive Robin! I- I can't believe I-"

"Okay alright, we're closing up and going home. Stay here and don't move."