The Weirdo on Maple Street Part 1

Maddie has been in some really awkward settings, but nothing compares to the ride from the woods to the Wheeler residence. As soon as they finally arrived they all rushed out of the car and went directly into the basement.

The young girl who has not spoken a single word sat on the couch where as the rest of the boys stood in front of her not giving her any room to breathe.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?", Mike started. "Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?", Dustin questioned. "Dusty", Maddie quietly scolded. "Did you run away?", Lucas continued. "Are you in some kind of trouble?", Mike asked. "Is that blood?", Lucas questioned nervously moving his hand closer to the young girl. "Stop it! You're freaking her out!", Mike exclaimed slapping Lucas' hand away. "She's freaking me out!", Lucas stated loudly. "I bet she's deaf", Dustin said moving his hands to clap in the poor girl's face. The young girl flinched away startled. "Not deaf", Dustin shrugged. "Boys that's enough!", Maddie stated from behind the three young kids causing them to jump.

"She is obviously scared and you idiots are freaking her out!", Maddie said trying to make a point. Thunder struck outside of the house making the young girl jump. "Hey, it's okay. It's just a storm. You're safe. Okay?", Maddie asked the young girl tenderly. The young girl took a deep breath in and nodded making Maddie smile. During this Mike went to his laundry basket and pulled out some warm clothes for her to change into.

"Here, these are clean. Okay?", Mike questioned softly. The young girl hesitantly took the clothes and rubbed them against her face feeling the soft fabric. Shortly after this she stood up and tried taking her clothes off. This was met with Mike, Lucas, and Dustin all screaming no while covering their eyes. Mike gently stated, "See over there? Th-that's the bathroom. Privacy. Get it?". The young girl looks around and slowly grabs her new clothes and walks to the bathroom.

Before she walked in all the way she gently pulls Maddie's hand with her. Maddie looks down slightly confused before the young girl looks towards the bathroom. Finally catching on Maddie asked softly, "Do you want me to go with you?". The tiny girl answered with a small nod. As the two girls walked into the bathroom Mike tried to shut the door only to be stopped by the young girl. "You don't want it closed?", Mike questioned looking puzzled. "No", the young girl said soft but firm. "Oh, so you can speak?", Mike asked with a smirk. "Okay, well... Um, how about we just keep the door... just like this. Is that better?", Mike questioned cracking the door. "Yes", the young girl stated softly.

Maddie stayed with the small girl until she was finished changing her clothes and together they exited the bathroom. Dustin and Lucas were heading up the stairs getting ready to leave while Maddie and Mike were getting the young girl situated in the makeshift fort set up for her in the Wheeler's basement.

When Dustin and Lucas left it was just Maddie and Mike left with the young girl. "Hey, um, I never asked your name", Mike said. The young girl slowly revealed the number eleven which was engraved into her arm. "Is that real?!", Mike asked and tried to reach forward to touch it before the young girl moved her arm away from his grasp. "Sorry, I've just... never seen a kid with a tattoo before", Mike stated receiving a subtle elbow to his ribcage from Maddie.

"What's it mean? Eleven?", Mike questioned. The young girl responded by pointing to herself. "That's your name?!", Mike asked in shock receiving another jab from Maddie. The young girl, now known as Eleven, nodded. "Eleven. Okay", Mike said before adding, "Um, well, my name's Mike. Short for Michael. And this", Mike started and then turned towards Maddie while pointing.

"Is Maddie short for Madison. Maybe we can call you "El". Short for Eleven", Mike stated happily causing Eleven to nod. "Ok well good night El", Mike said before starting up the stairs. Maddie squatted down before speaking softly, "Hey El, I'm going to go back and check on my brother and mom. You can just stay here and rest. Okay? Mike and the boys will take care of you and if they don't then you let me know and I'll take care of them". This made El smile, a real genuine smile, before giving Maddie a brief hug shocking both girls. "Good night El", Maddie said with a smile. "Good night Maddie", Eleven stated laying down causing Maddie to exit the Wheeler house with a large smile on her face.