XIII

VINCENZO P.O.V.

Quiet as the ocean seas,

Drawing life to my dead feet.

The hidden colors in your face reflect the grace in your skin,

At nights I read to thee,

The words trickle down to your knees.

At midnight I love you...,

In the daytime I want you...

For the rest of my life, I need you...

Seasons come, years pass by I wish to see you.

Today is different from every other day, As normal, I would read my poems to Ginevra at night before I head home, but today was special. It's early as 5:00 am, I had just finished my workouts at the gym but just decided to jog to the hospital to make sure Ginevra is ok. Her face keeps appearing in my dreams, I would see her face so close to me, bright as the sun, I imagine how beautiful she would look like when she smiles...

I need to get home and take a shower, maybe later on I will come to the hospital to sign in some files that I have abandoned for weeks. I walk towards the door, leaving Ginevra's room. She looks a bit healthier than 3 months ago. Walking out of the room, I heard a soft voice say,

"I Love you too."

but I wasn't sure who it was so I checked the hallway, but no one was there. I am so confused, am I hearing well, or is it just my head playing tricks on me. I walk into the room once again, moving towards Ginevra... No! she cannot be the one! She hasn't spoken since she was brought to the hospital. I looked closely at her face, this time she was in tears... I wiped my eyes to be sure that I wasn't just seeing things, I slapped my face multiple times, to bring me back to reality, but she was still in tears. I leaned close to her and wipe the tears away.

I can't believe it, she is crying, but why? Wrapping my massive hands on her small hand, I sit beside her kissing every one of her fingers. I don't know why I was kissing it but I learned it from grandma, she always did it to me whenever I was in tears, she once said, whenever someone young cries, kissing the fingers of the fellow would make them happy and calm. Kissing her fingers is soothing and pleasurable to do. I stare at her body, I keep imagining how it would feel for her hands to touch my cheekbone, I could feel the sparks I felt the first day I touched her.

Her hand squeezed my fingers... I looked up to see her face immediately, her eyes were shut but her hands kept squeezing my fingers. Am I dreaming? Wake up Vince, this is reality, right? She just squeezed my finger, and I mentally screamed. Was she the one that said I love you, yes she did, she said so, she just proved my doubt with her tears and her pale squeeze? Even though she hasn't opened her eyes that didn't matter. She told me she loves me, and now that is enough for me to think about the whole night. Grandpa needs to share in my happiness. 

I crouch down and whisper in her left ear,

" I love you so much" This is more like the best day of my life, out of all the 26 years I have lived on this earth.