XXV

VINCENZO P.O.V

{180TH DAY}

I don't know how am feeling, but the fear of today's surgery keeps creeping me out. Today is the day to either bring Gonevra back to life or she dies and I can't let that ever happen. I have grown to attach to her and I know everything will be alright and I will be able to hear her voice again. 

"Doctor De Luca, the operating room is ready for the surgery sir, and Miss Ginevra is laying on the bed." Nurse Tonia said, peeping through my door. "Oh ok, thanks Nurse Tonia, I would be there soon, give me five minutes." I arranged the books on my desk and tucked the paper works into a folder. Walk into the operation room, the anesthesiologist, perfusionist and three other nurses were already in. I inject anesthesia on Ginevra before I picked up the instruments I want to use.  Taking in a deep breath before I proceed with the surgery. I cut Ginevra's chest, separating her chest bone before opening up the ribcage so that I can operate on her heart. I remove the diseased heart, placing it on a stainless plate.  Placing a new heart into her chest before sewing it up. I attach the major blood vessels to the heart. Usually, when the blood vessels are attached, it often starts beating when the blood is restored, but this time it was different. Her heart wasn't beating, she lay on the bed lifelessly. I looked at the doctors and other nurses in confusion. What is wrong, why is her heart not beating at all? something is wrong somewhere.

"Doctor De Luca, I feel we should give it time, maybe she would start breathing." The nurse opposite me spoke with so much faith. No, I don't think I can wait for a minute, what if something happens, she was still in her ICU but still, her heart wasn't beating. 

"Doctor Raffello, is this the heart that was sent from India, or what is wrong?" I asked in fear, the man kept looking at Ginevra with a strange look, I don't know why but something was wrong. "Raffello, is there a problem?" I asked with so much demand.

"Oh Uhm, Doctor De Luca, this is the heart that was gotten from India" His words were hiding something I don't know, something like lies?  "So why  is her heart not beating?" I raged in anger. I walk back to Ginevra's body, she looked so lifeless, no this can not be happening, I need her to be awake, what is wrong, why is she not responding to the new heart. 

"I would come back in 20 minutes, I need to talk to someone," I said walking out of the theater room. Walking down the hall, I see Grandpa sitting with Ginevra's Aunt and her best friend. How am I going to explain to them about the failure of the heart? 

"What is wrong Vincenzo? Is she ok?" Grandpa looked at me from afar. Aunt Mirabella stood up immediately, followed by Ophelia. They shoot me with so many questions." Is she ok, Doctor? Is she awake now? Can I see her ?" I shake my head in disagreement. " Doctor, why are you shaking your head? I she dead?" Now tears spilled out of Aunt Mirabella's eyes as she ruffles my scrubs. Ophelia holds Ginevra's aunt and places her to sit. " Son, please tell me what's wrong" Grandpa started at my face, his eyes were red, was he crying, or had he gotten so stressed up with the whole drama. We walk away from the two ladies, standing by a corner. "Hmm, Grandpa, the heart we got from India, she didn't respond to it, I am looking for what I can do," I said gripping a handful of my hair in dismay.  Grandpa kept staring at me, why didn't he say anything, I need his advice, not his silence. " I knew something was wrong, I could sense it the whole time, do you have another heart that she can use?"I shake my head "No, the next time we are going to have an available heart will be two days and I need to finish the surgery today because she might not survive." We walked back to the ladies seated by the corner of the hospital, Aunt Mirabella jumped up the moment she spotted me, I understand how she is feeling, no one wants to lose Ginevra, not grandpa, not Mirabella, not Ophelia, not even me, I will never forgive myself if I lose her. The silence kept spreading, I have nothing to say than to think of possible ways to do things. I was still deep in my positive thinking before the words of Grandpa made us all look at him with shock. "Vincenzo, use my heart for the operation" I shake my head in disagreement, he kept nodding to the idea, no I cannot allow it, we talked about it and I did not agree to that. 'No Pa, you cannot do that please" A tear slipped from my eyes. Aunt Mirabella and Ophelia kept quiet because they did not know what to say.  "Vincenzo, you have to, because if you don't you will lose Ginevra and I don't think that will end well at all, I know you love her and you deserve to be with her, I have seen the way you look at her, the way you care for her, I don't think any other person has made you feel like that, so please do me the favor and accept my offer, please" Tears kept rolling down my eyes, I can't lose My Pa, no, Oh God what am I supposed to do.

"Granpa, please, we can wait till another heart is brought to the clinic" I spoke with tears, he kept on shaking his head, he has made up his mind and I don't care. What am I to do without him in my life.  "Vincenzo, you have to do it, I can not live on earth forever, everyone has their day to die and my time has come. This is an opportunity to see your Grandmother, she will be so happy, because she knows what I am doing is the right thing" 

⏱⏱⏱⏱⏱

Grandpa was on the other bed beside Ginevra, he was laying there staring at me and then at Ginevra the whole time. He rubs my arms, he could sense that I was so uncomfortable. I pick up the surgical scissors and walked up to where grandpa lay. He closed his eyes and smiled, his smiles were mixed with fear and calmness, he kept on rubbing my arms for me to calm down.  His eyes opened before he gestured for me to crouch down to his level. " Vincenzo, calm down, if you can't do it, please tell the other doctors to take over the operation. I know it's hard but please be calm. I will always be with you, maybe not physically but in your heart. And promise me that you will always be the happy son I trained" He smiled widely. He forced a grin on my face before I spoke. " Ok Pa, I am going to miss you so much, I love you grandpa" He drags me into a hug before whispering to my ears. " I Love you too son, promise to always be there for Ginevra and keep her safe, do not let your family down, boy" The tears in my eyes refused to stop flowing since we entered the room. I walk up to the other Surgeon that will be taking over my position, I hand him the scissor, then gave grandpa my last look before walking out of the room, I cried for so long, I lost my dad ten years ago, I tried to get over it for years, but having a grandfather as my father figure for many years was lovely. He was always there for me when I was down but at this moment he is not. He gave up himself out of love, my dad died a tragic death, and now should I say, grandpa, dies a heroic death. All the memories of grandpa and i's together flooded my mind. Our fishing days, when he would laugh at my fishing skills, the hunting days we had last when he boasted of killing three bears in thirty minutes.  The nights he would describe grandma as the stars that brighter the dark skies. The times we will paint under the sun and dance in the rain. We were inseparable, so I guess now I would say death separates me from the one I love.

A/N

Krusticaramel🖤

I am so sorry friends for the delay in this chapter.🥺

This chapter might not sound as professional as the actual thing that happens in a surgery room, I am not a medical student and I have never experienced it before, so I am trying to make it look real and nice for my readers. 

Thank you for understanding.

love y'all😘

X.O.X.O🖤