XIX

VINCENZO P.O.V

" Vincenzo, she needs a new heart, the one that would match hers," Alberto said from the other side of the room.

"Have you gotten any at all?" Cosimo asked 

"Yes I have, a lady in Mexico came by yesterday and said she will be offering hers since Ginevra is a young girl." I looked out the mahogany window.

" Oh well, when is the surgery going to be done?" Carlo spoke up. He is sited on my chair, while I sat on my desk.

"Hmmm Today is the 7th of June, so it's going to be September, yeah September is the surgery," I said with fear skipping out of my chest. The day is getting close and I just can't wait to hear her voice again and see those pretty hazel eyes. 

"Well, that is close, I hope the surgery comes out successful" Alberto looked at my eyes searching, searching for what? Fear? Nah I can't show them I am scared.

⏱⏱⏱⏱⏱⏱⏱

It was midnight, I woke up with an uneasy feeling, that something is wrong and I can feel it, I climb out of my bed, and walked out of my room. I stop at the front of Ginevra's room, opening the door a little to peep if everything was ok. Nothing out of the usual was happening, so I closed the door quietly.  Walking down the stairs, I go to the kitchen to take a cup of lemon water, I only drink it when I feel so restless and shaky. I don't seem to know the reason for my nervous behavior. I look out the window but the trees were still moving in their normal unison, the sky was still dark and the rains were pouring quite as usual but I was still feeling restless. The sudden shriek rang in the silent kitchen making me jump, was I scared, Nahh, I am a man, I can not be scared. I pick up the phone from the table, it is grandpa, I looked at the time, it is 2:00 am, why would grandpa be calling at this time, is something wrong. I picked up the call anxiously. 

"Hello Grandpa, are you ok?" I asked immediately.

" Yes Vince, I am sorry to wake you up by this time." Her voice was shaky, his he ok, something is not right.

"Pa is everything alright, you don't sound ok" 

"I am ok, I can't sleep, I have been thinking all day and I am trying to sleep but I can't," He said with a low tone.

"Tell me, what are you thinking about you need to stop thinking and try to sleep."

"Hmmm, I have been thinking about Ginevra..." Why would he be thinking about her, there are so weird, what is he talking about.

"I don't understand Pa"

"Well, Vince, I want you to use my heart for Ginevra's heart transplant..." For 10 minutes the was silence, he can not be serious, why would he say that, why would he even think of that. I mean I love Ginevra so much but why Grandpa? I can't lose him, I lost Dad but not again. I have always pictured grandpa as a father figure. This is a hard decision and a tough discussion to bring up in the middle of the night.

"Vincenzo? Are you still there?" Grandpa asked.

" Uhmm, Yes! Uhh Yes sir. " I was fidgeting.

" Oh ok, so what do you say, I feel calm about it, I just want the both of you to be happy like the way I was with your grandmom.

" Uhmm, ok Pa, I don't know let me think about it," I said, unsure of my words.

"Ok, please Vince think about it carefully, I don't want you to feel sad"  I ended the call and sat on the floor weeping all through the night. Grandpa can't do that, I understand that he is caring and all but it's sad to lose him, what am I going to do.