Playing The Game

"Can I just have the older ones, please?" Doctor Brenner addressed the Rainbow Room. "Two, Three, Four, Six, Seven, with me." Almost no one reacted to the numbers left out- it was normal by now.

Rising from where she was playing with Eleven on the floor, Four patted Eleven lightly on the head, "I'll be back in a moment." giving her a smile before she followed Doctor Brenner from the room.

The group fell into an intrigued silence as they followed him down the hall. "Today, we're going to play a new game." He said as he stepped into a room. "We're going to try it out, see if it works before we invite the others."

They lined up, almost through force of habit, along the back wall; watching.

One and another orderly were there, each of them with chalk- Four shot him a secretive smile and he gave her a brief wink in return. At Brenner's askance, two chalk circles were drawn on the floor.

Brenner stood between them, gesturing with his arms. "Let's see how this works. The game is simple; first person to get the other out of the circle wins. So, who wants to start?"

***

It had soon become apparent that Two was the reigning champion of this game; a fact that Four could have predicted as he never seemed to have had any qualms about throwing his peers around; although Three had come close, matching him almost challenger for challenger until until it had ended with them being dramatically thrown by Two across the room.

"Four!" Doctor Brenner said, catching eyes with the girl. "You've not had a turn yet."

Looking at the last person being helped up after being tossed to the floor, Four crossed her arms and leant back against the wall. "You know I can't do that."

"Just try."

With a dramatic sigh and a distinct fear she was about to become a human chew toy, Four peeled herself off the back wall and slunk into the circle.

She looked at Two, smiling so smugly, so sure he had already won.

"All you have to do is get the other out of the circle."

Four cocked her head. "Get out of the circle."

Laughter; several of the others laughed at that, malicious chuckles spilling from Two's lips in front of her. Even One seemed find it amusing; a humourous twinkle in his eyes as he leant forwards out of place from where he was standing beside Brenner and spoke to her. "No, don't ask him. Make him."

Four looked at him, one long look, head tilted to the side; and then she turned back to Two, an oh-so-sweet smile on her face. "Please get out of the circle."

You-like-me You-like-me You-like-me You-like-me I'm-so-nice So-polite You-like-me You-love-me Make-me-happy You-want-to-do-as-I-say

Two stepped out of the circle.

Then he blinked, and realised what he had done. "Wh- huh?"

Brenner realised too. "Right," He said shortly, speaking to Four. "You don't get to play."

"Wait, what? Why?" Four exclaimed. "You literally didn't specify! Ugh, this is ridiculous!" Gesturing furiously with her arms, Four stepped from the circle and stormed from the room.

"Hey, Four, don't walk out." One called after her. Then he tossed down the chalk stick and hurried to catch her up outside the door. "Hey, Four! Four!"

A/N: So after saying in the previous chapter I'm trying to stick as close to the season narrative as possible, I feel obligated to specify that this is not when Eleven plays the circle game (Don't worry, that's coming later); instead, this is an earlier version of the game which Brenner is trying out with just the older ones, and is an explanation as to why Four is excluded from the later game.
Also, a fabulous example of her different powers XD

Anyway, please like and leave your thoughts- your comments feed my muse!