Lullaby

Four woke up in the middle of the night in the grip of crippling despair, a great wave of melancholia crashing over her, suffocating her in its grip; sobs welling in her chest, her body curling in on itself into a ball. As she struggled to kick herself free from the tangle of sheets, one thought was in her mind: These were not her feelings.

Whoever's feelings these were, she needed to find them and she needed them to stop, before they dragged her under.

Staggering from her bed, Four stumbled to the door, partly doubled over as if in physical pain; pushing it open, she slipped out into the hallway, left hand trailing along the wall for balance, as she set out in search of the source.

***

"It seems Eleven is having nightmares again."

Other than a brief moment of thought at the orderly's words, Doctor Brenner seemed mostly disinterested. "Leave her be. She'll settle eventually."

His eyes drifted over the orderly's shoulder to the computer screens, showing the CCTV footage of the facility. Then, something on them caught his attention and he hurried over for a better look. "What's going-"
There, on the computer screen, the black-and-white figure of Four could be seen making her way up the hall, and pushing open the door to Eleven's room.

"Should I go get her?"

Doctor Brenner held up a hand. "No, no. I want to see this."

***

"Stop it! Just stop it!"

Eleven was startled awake, tears streaming down her face, to find Four in the doorway, a face like thunder. "I can't handle your emotions!"

Eleven hiccuped, but fell silent; tears still steadily falling from her eyes. Seeing this, Four's face softened and she swallowed down the splash of guilt she felt at having shouted. "Why are you upset?"

"Bad dream." Eleven said quietly.

Coming over to the bed, Four sat down next to Eleven. Surprisingly, she reached out and put her arm around the little girl, pulling her close and softly stroking her shaved head. "Do you want to tell me about it? Or not; you don't have to."

Eleven didn't; instead settling for cuddling closer to the older girl.

"Now," Four said, gently laying Eleven back in her bed and tucking her in. "Go to sleep."

Laying her hand comfortingly on Eleven's forehead, Four began to quietly sing. It was a lullaby; where she knew it from, she couldn't remember; but some of it was in French- some of it she didn't remember the words to and so had to infill her own.

Sleep, She thought, protecting the feeling out to the little girl. You want to go to sleep. You're so very tired. Mind drifting; thought's wandering... so soft and warm here, safe and comfortable; it's nice here, you weigh nothing, you just... float. Safe and warm and loved, back in the womb of your mother. And nothing matters anymore, because you're so, so, sleepy...

"Sleep."

Eleven's eyelids slipped closed, her breathing slowed and she dropped off to sleep.

A/N: Yes, I know the second part of the series is out. No, I haven't managed to watch it yet. Please, please, please, do not tell me any spoilers! I am so excited to see the last part!