In The Dark

All alone in Solitary Confinement, Four sat. It was dark and quiet; her senses were heightened, she could feel everyone in the facility. But it was fine– she just had to be patient. One would come and get her. He had promised.

So she sat, and she waited.

And she waited.

And then, it started.

Fear– from just a few at first, but it grew by every moment, more and more, from every person, until it was like a hundred voices all at once crying out inside her head.

What's happening? What's going on out there?

It was building, louder and louder, more and more, every mind, every person in the building; until suddenly it crashed onto her, like a tidal wave, like a roaring inferno, and she was swallowed up.

Four screamed; she screamed and screamed, her body twisting and contorting, hands clutching her head, trying to make it stop. "No! No! Make it stop! Let me out! LET ME OUT!"

Pain and anguish that were not her own lanced through her, like a thousand needles; every bone felt like it was breaking, every blood vessel fit to burst. The walls of the already-small room seemed to be crushing in around her, panic pulsing through her veins, darkness stealing her breath away.
Desperate hands clawed at her mind, iron fingers raking deep, robbing her of her thoughts, her sight, ears and voice; overtaking her until this was all there was, until there was no room for anything else, just an overwhelming, all-absorbing torrent of pure, abject terror.

And then worse still, one by one like the extinguishing of lights–

Nothing.

Four dropped, a puppet with her strings cut. They were gone. Tears of blood streamed down her face. They were gone– and she was alone.

All alone in the dark.

...Except, she realised as she stayed there, she was not alone. There was something else, something waiting, a tingle down her spine– she could feel it, just out of reach.

Something hungry, waiting in the dark.

A/N: Not sure how I feel about this chapterI've published and unpublished it so many times already to make changes XD It's either at the point it's good, or I've given up. Hopefully it's good– or at least makes sense!

Anyhow, guess which on-screen event is going on outside of Four's solitary confinement! Henry, you done f-cked up. Your girlfriend, the super-empath, might take a while to forgive you for this one. XD