Paper Folds

The next day, there was a knock on the door of the Wheeler's house just around midday. Karen Wheeler opened the door. Miss Quatre was on the doorstep; dressed in a smart pin-stripe suit, a cheerful red rose pinned to her lapel and a stack of unlabeled files clutched in her hands.

 Miss Quatre was on the doorstep; dressed in a smart pin-stripe suit, a cheerful red rose pinned to her lapel and a stack of unlabeled files clutched in her hands

"Good afternoon." Bonnie Quatre smiled, holding out her hand for Mrs Wheeler to shake. "I'm Miss Quatre- I'm a teacher up at your son's school. Could I come in please?"

Trust me.

"... Why yes, of course." Karen smiled, beckoning her inside. Any strangeness she found in the situation was brushed aside, in favour of rising concern at whatever it was about their son's schooling that has caused her to come over. What a lovely woman she seemed, coming to speak to them in person.

"What subject is it that you teach?" Karen asked, leading the woman inside as she closed the door behind them.

"Physics." Bonnie's wide, grey eyes flitted over everything surface and corner of their home, drinking it all in with an expressionless mask.

Karen smiled, turning them both towards the kitchen. "Unfortunately, Mike's not here right now- he's on a trip. But you can talk to us about any concerns."

Bonnie made a vague sound of agreement, head tilted slightly as, stopped in the kitchen doorway, she peered curiously up the stairs.

"Tea?" Karen offered, guiding her in. "Ted, say hi, it's Mike's teacher."

"Hello."

Karen rolled her eyes at her husband, heading over to put the kettle on.

"Are Max, Dustin and Lucas here?" Bonnie asked. "I was told they might be. I need to speak with them."

"Ohh, what have they done now?" Ted said over the top of his newspaper. Karen shot him a look.

"You just missed them." Karen told her. "They were staying over, but they just headed out with Nancy."

Bonnie Quatre wasn't quite listening; something had caught her eye, and she had drifted over to look at something on the table. "Who drew this?"

It was a picture of a house; drawn in red crayon, ghoulish-looking, pieced together from folded paper. The Creel house.

Reaching out, she touched her fingers to the folded square that was the door; decorated with a stained-glass rose.

"Oh, that was Max." Karen pulled a face. "It's a bit strange looking, I know. I think it's maybe for one of their little games, Dungeons and Dragons or whatever it is."

"... Did you say they went out with Nancy?" Bonnie straightened up. "I have to go. I am so sorry. We'll talk again soon." As she hurried to the door, that stained glass window was all she could see.

As the front door swung closed behind Bonnie, Karen blinked. "... What a strange woman."