1. I'M SURE AS SHIT NOT FINDING OUT

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

BROOKE MARTEL WOULD RATHER be quite literally anywhere else right now. She's learned to zone out her parents arguing and their curse words and just them showing how much they love each other. Her family is built on lies.

A part of her knows it's her fault, not every time but this time it is. She was caught spray painting a police patrol car. The word Fucker, looked nice in red. At least in Brooke's opinion. She also could've done worse things in her opinion. It did start with Brooke getting yelled at but mom said the wrong thing and then, boom, it was no longer about her and her fucking spray paint.

She can hear the Byers dog barking as she sits in her room, Walkman blasting whatever mixtape she deemed necessary. Eventually, the fighting will stop and eventually, Brooke will fall asleep just in time for school tomorrow.

Her door swinging open in front of her makes her pause her music. As expected, Daniel stands in the doorway, a plate of food in hand because he knows she didn't eat. "I made you grilled cheese," Daniel comes in and carefully places the plate in front of a scowling Brooke. She can't get mad at him. She never really does but he can be annoying at times. Right now is not one of those times.

"How was Mike's?" Brooke softly smiles as she bites into the sandwich. "Eh, a lot of shit you wouldn't understand. Y'know, aliens and Demogorgons," Daniel shrugs.

Brooke nods, swallowing the bite, "Listen, Danny, I'm tired. You should be too. Go get some sleep," She ruffles his hair. Daniel huffs, "Fine. Fine." Just as he's about to leave, their front door slams, both kids jump. It's a normal occurrence yet they flinch each time. Danny turns back towards his sister. "Yes, you can sleep in here," Brooke rolls her eyes watching her little brother run to his room to get changed knowing she's not gonna get as much sleep as she wanted with his tendency to kick her in his sleep.

"DANIEL, BROOKE, GET UP!" Their mom's knuckles smack against the wooden door, waking both siblings up. "Oh, no," Brooke groans and throws a pillow over her head.

Unlike his sister, Daniel left the bed immediately, running to the kitchen for breakfast. Daniel loves school and Brooke envies that trait of his. A few minutes go by before Brooke slides herself out of bed and slips on some random jeans and a band t-shirt. "How'd you two sleep?" Kathleen, their mom, is awfully happy considering the curse words Brooke heard falling out of her mouth last night.

Daniel smiles, "I only kicked Brooke once!"

"Can we make it zero? Please? I beg," Brooke rolls her eyes, swinging the fridge door open, she grabs the butter and turns back to her mom and Daniel, "Where's dad?"

"Work," Kathleen is quick to answer. Brooke wants to question her but it'll start another argument that's unneeded, plus, dad is always working. The phone ringing on the wall makes Brooke jump. It's far too loud of a noise this early in the morning. "No, it's fine. I got it," Kathleen rolls her eyes, "Kathleen Martel, who is this?" Brooke stares at her mom while buttering her bagel, watching her eyebrows frown.