44. SMELLS OF DEATH

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

AFTER LOOKING AROUND THE dining room and kitchen, a grandfather clock is in front of Brooke after she turned the corner.

The same exact brown, tall grandfather clock that has been haunting her and Max. "You guys see that too, right?" Max asks, flashlight on it. Brooke steps closer to it. Everyone says yes or yeah in response to Max.

Her arm reaches out. It feels like the object is farther away than it seems. Brooke's finger touches the clock, dust rubbing off onto her finger. "Is this what you saw? In your visions?" Nancy asks, her eyes on Brooke who has yet to move her eyes from the clock.

The chime echoes in Brooke's head. The sound makes her step back. She looks back at Max, the same fearful expression on both their faces. "I mean, it's....just a clock," Robin says, trying to calm down her two friends. "Yeah," Paisley steps around Max and places the palm of her hand on the long, dusty part of the clock, "Just a clock."

She won't lie and say she's scared to even be near it but if it'll help Max and Brooke, Paisley is willing to do anything. Robin also walks up to the clock and wipes the dust off the top of it, revealing the actual clock part.

"Like a normal old clock," Robin reassures them again. "Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks? Maybe he's, like, a clockmaker or something?" Steve says. Brooke turns away from the clock with her head tilted towards her boyfriend. "I think you cracked the case, Steve!" Dustin sarcastically says. "Clockmaker....you're one of the stupidest people," Penelope insults Steve.

"Okay, the answers have to be here," Stella impatiently says, "Everything pointed here," She looks around the broken down home, hopeful that it'll somehow clear Eddie's name. "Everyone stays in groups. Robin, Penelope, upstairs," Nancy orders. Paisley raises her eyebrow when she doesn't hear her name grouped with the three girls. "Nancy—" Paisley begins to say but Brooke grabs her forearm and drags her towards her.

"I'll go with the couple," Stella whispers before following Lucas and Max. Danny and Dustin glance at each other. "Come on," Dustin sighs before going up the stairs. "Why the hell did you sigh?" Danny yells, following after Dustin.

Paisley, Steve and Brooke stand in a triangle. Her two best friends near her have a mixed feeling of comfort and fear. The fear of them still seeing Brooke die lingers within her.

"Hawkins trio?" Steve smiles. Paisley glances towards the stairs where Robin is, ignoring Steve's words. Brooke catches it, "P, Robin doesn't want Penelope."

"Doesn't mean Penelope doesn't want her," Paisley pouts. The two others chuckle at Paisley. "So, just be better than her. You've had Robin in the palms of your head for nearly two years. Get your shit together. Let's just go explore. As much as I hate the idea," Steve cringes as he looks around the house. He wraps an arm around Brooke's waist, bringing her close. If Steve could quite literally keep Brooke in his skin, he would.