34. EMERGENCY

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

   SUZIE WAS THE SAVIOR of the night—maybe even the world. Whatever bullshit song Suzie made him sing was worth it because not only did it give Steve and Brooke material to tease Dustin with, it also helped them.

Brooke cringes at the names they used when the radio is cut off, "Dusty-bun. Interesting." Paisley nods her head in agreement, "Suzie-poo?"

"What the hell was that nerd fest?" Penelope scoffs from the seat. "That is just.....Dustin," Steve sighs, a bit elated from his nerdy best friend's sing along. The small bit of happiness and confusion the group had is depleted once Brooke notices the creature turning around. "Fuck, it's turning around!" Brooke curses, face basically against the window. "What?" Jonathan shouts from the front seat.

"It's turning around!" Steve and Brooke both yell in unison. "Maybe we wore it out?" Lucas suggests. Brooke keeps her eyes on the creature until it's completely out of sight. Her hand wraps around Steve's wrist, his pulse speeding up from her touch under her fingers.

"You kidding me? I couldn't even explode the thing, there's no way it's tired," Penelope frowns, turning to look out the back shield. Brooke whips her head at Penelope, "Explode?" There's no time to answer because Jonathan spins the car around in the direction of the creature. The teens each let out a scream and grip onto anything they can until the car comes to a stop.

"Oh, Jesus Christ," Brooke's body smacks into the back of the seats.

"Brooke," Danny calls out his sister's name, turning around in his seat, "El doesn't have her powers." Even in the dim light Danny can see the fear and confusion on Brooke's face. Her grip around Steve's wrist gets tighter as she scoots closer to Danny, "Wha—H—How?" Brooke has no idea how El's powers fully work, she's not even sure El does herself but she never thought she could just lose her powers just like that.

Will turns around as well, "They just—stopped. It's like she used all her battery power on the Mind Flayer." Brooke shrinks onto the floor of the trunk and catches Paisley's concerned look. A simple tilt of the head is Paisley's way of saying Are you okay? Brooke just throws a thumbs up at her, not knowing how to fully react to the loss of El's powers, a loss neither one of the Hopper girls can comprehend.

There's a lightbulb moment within Lucas and Danny. A shared look and smirk between the two boys. Casey furrows his brows at them, "What the hell are you two thinking?" There's no answer, just a bigger smirk and a high five between them.

THE MIND FLAYER STANDS above El and roars. The lighter Brooke always keeps in her pocket lights up the firework in Lucas' hands. He smiles and tosses the firework at the monster. It gets stunned and wails, shaking the mall around them.