8. AND WHY WOULD YOU GIVE A SHIT?

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

A SHOT GOES OFF and the pressure from it is lifted off of Brooke. She gasps for air as Paisley and Jonathan pull her off the floor. It stands in front of Nancy as she fires off more shots. Brooke's head spins as the oxygen comes back to it. The sound of the gun clicking lets Nancy know she's out of bullets and luck.

It opens its mouth and Brooke lifts the bat off the ground. Suddenly, the monster is flung back by an impact. "Steve!" Nancy pants out. Brooke can't tell if she's mad he came back or thankful for saving Nancy's life but as the thing roars at Steve, he just keeps smacking it. He isn't showing an outward burst of fear like earlier. The four of them step back as Steve swings the bat in his hands and hits it again.

Metal clangs together as it roars in pain and the yo-yo goes flying back. "He's in the trap!" Steve yells. They run over to the hallway and Paisley takes a deep breath as it wiggles around in the bear trap. "He's stuck! Jonathan!" Paisley yells at him.

"Jonathan, now!" Nancy yells as well. Brooke, who is still slightly winded, tosses the lighter to Jonathan who tosses it where the gasoline was put down. The carpet catches flame and it screeches in pain.

Paisley runs to the fire extinguisher, "Step back!" She jumps in front of everyone and sprays the fire, the room filling with the toxicity of the fire and that. Brooke watches the flames burn out and then black smoke fills her lungs. They all cough up a storm but walk down the hall.

"Is the fucking thing dead?" Brooke says between coughs. "It has to be dead," Jonathan tells her. They pant as the smoke fully clears. Brooke looks at the bear trap, her eyes widen at what's left of it sizzling. "Yeah, it's fucking dead," Brooke says.

The lights turn on above them and down the hall and around the house. Brooke and Steve stand in front of the group, baseball bats in hand, they follow the string lights through the house.

"Mom? Is that you?" Jonathan softly asks. "The light shows where it's going," Paisley puts together as the last Christmas light turns on. They all walk outside and the sound of the street light crackling makes them look towards it. "Where's it going?" Nancy asks.

"Hopefully back to hell where it came from," Brooke scrunches her nose. The feeling of it's drool still very much stuck on her face. "I don't think that's the monster," Jonathan whispers.

Ideas of where it could be going circle the girl's mind. What if they're attracted to Eleven? She's at the school with the boys. Brooke throws her bat to the side of the porch, "Danny. I have to go get Danny—"

"How? You gonna run to the school?" Paisley pulls Brooke back by her shoulder. She doesn't really care what she has to do, she just has this nagging feeling in her chest that something is wrong. Brooke shakes Paisley off and starts to run back to her house. Her mom is at work right now so all she can hope is that Shawn is asleep which gives her the opportunity to grab the keys and go.