24. THE PIT

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

   PAISLEY'S ARMS ARE WRAPPED around Robin's waist, uncomfortably sitting on the back of the bike. The blonde reaches the mall. She spews excuse me's as she speeds up to the bike rack.

"Anyone ever tell you how smart you are?" Paisley says with a smile. Robin nervously laughs under her breath a bit, "It seems to be my only working trait. Come on."

The two make it back to Scoops.

"It is fascinating what 20 bucks will get you at the County Recorder's Office," Robin says. She spreads the map across the table. Paisley smooths it out, "Starcourt Mall. The finished blueprints."

Dustin smiles at the girls, "Not bad."

Casey carefully steps next to Stella. The only two here that don't want to kill him with a scooper are Stella and Robin, maybe Dustin but Paisley has given him his fair share of glares. He slowly puts his finger to the map, "This is Scoops, right?"

Robin nods, "Yeah, and this is where we want to get," She slides her finger across the map. "I mean, I don't really see a way in," Steve says. He wishes he could afford a day off. He'd much rather be with Brooke and the kids right than this, mostly just Brooke though. Robin kept catching him zoning out earlier. Everything from last night just keeps replaying. Only took them so long to realize they actually like each other.

"There's not—Steve, stop zoning out, bird brain," Robin shoves him, "Anyway, if you're talking exclusively about doors, there's no way in." Stella sighs, looking over the map, "Oh, fuck me. The air ducts?"

"Exactly," Robin walks over to grab a marker, "Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room. And these air ducts," She starts circling on the map, "lead all the way.....," She draws a line along the air ducts and to another room, "Here."

They all glance up at the air ducts. Sighs leaving some of their mouths.

STEVE GETS THE DOOR of the air duct off, screwdriver in mouth, "Flashlight."

Stella hands him the flashlight, "That looks....small." She hates it. She hates the thought of small places. Being a big girl in a small town is worse than it would be anywhere else. Where every girl around her eats an almond a day and calls it enough. Stella feels bad for them of course, it's not only her being forced into the beauty standard of the world. It's just easier for them. The glasses Stella hides behind and the unrevealing clothes she buys, all to make sure no one really ever notices her.

Steve had thanked her but Stella had blanked out, only a quiet your welcome coming out of Stella's mouth before she steps back. Casey notices, stepping behind her and grabbing her hand.