17. LIKE SHE NEEDS PROTECTION

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

  BROOKE AND PAISLEY LET go out the tight grip they have around the Byers oldest.

"You got this. You'll get that thing out of him," Paisley reassures Jonathan. He's shaking under her touch. Jonathan puts on a smile for them and walks away with Joyce and Hopper who has really Will in his arms. As the door closes, Brooke can hear Hopper shouting directions to them but she takes a deep breath and walks away. She needs to find Danny.

Brooke wanders throughout the small house wondering where he could be. She swings the back door open only to find Steve and Nancy rummaging through the junk pile.

"I might be a shitty boyfriend," Brooke faintly hears, "But, turns out I'm actually a pretty damn good babysitter." Steve lets out an airy chuckle. Brooke can't hear the words said after that but Steve walks away and Nancy's eyes flicker from him to Brooke.

She gives her a smile from the back door and a small wave which Nancy returns. Steve gets to the back door and looks up to see Brooke with an almost apologetic look.

"Followed me out here?" He says as he moves past her. Brooke raises her eyebrows and laughs a bit, "I'm looking for Danny, jackass." Tension that had built up over the years seemingly gone for the small second they glanced at each other.

Steve nods, "Not out there. Just...Just Nancy." He walks away and into the living room where everyone else is. Hopper comes out from the hall and spots Brooke. "How's the leg?" He asks.

Brooke puts her leg out and tries to ignore the pain that shoots up it, "Fine." She throws him a thumbs up.

She thinks about it for a second, "Can I come to the lab?" Hopper gives her a double take and scoffs, "Brooke, no. Danny already tried to escape with the Byers. You both need to stay here." Brooke lets out a huff of air through her nose but is relieved to know that Danny has really got to be here now.

"You're taking Cory and he just started to believe us! We've been telling him for months and he thought our weed was laced!" Brooke points to Cory who is happily annoying the other teens. Hopper sighs, "That's for extra arms, alright? He was in the military."

Brooke stomps a bit because she knows he's right. "Brooke, El will be okay. I promise you but we really need to go," Hopper calmly says. He waits for a nod or some sort of answer from Brooke to let him know she understands. The shrug and whatever, fine that leaves her mouth is enough for him.

They all gather outside. "Just be careful, okay? I can't lose you again," Mike tells El. Brooke would normally gag at the affection and sappy words but she's happy at least someone she loves has a proper relationship. It feels like everyone around her just crumbles in that area.

The two lovesick kids look like they're almost going in for a kiss but Hopper stops them. "El...Come on, let's go. It's time."

El looks back at Mike and then her friends. Brooke knows she can do this but it's still anxiety inducing watching her walk away and into Hopper's truck. Nancy gets into Jonathan's car and both vehicles drive away.