51. CAN WE NOT BE THAT DUMB?

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

AN ORANGE HUE RESTS over Brooke and the group's faces. An intense feeling is among them. The deadly plans are underway. Steve's strong grip the wheel, trying to ignore the nagging pessimistic feeling boiling within him.

  They all grip their weapons, a collective knowing that what's about to happen could end in many deaths or brutal injuries.

  The Creel house is in Brooke's sight now. Max, Lucas, Erica and Penelope will be the ones to enter it, distracting Vecna. She had wanted Danny to join them but somehow, her little brother had convinced her he's not that little, scared 12 year old boy anymore. He's not the same boy who cried, face down in the pillow when this all started. So, instead, he watches two of his closest friends and two other people he trusts leave the camper, lanterns in hand.

   As they walk up the walkway, Steve drives away but Brooke looks at them till she no longer can.

  Destroying her cuticles under the long sleeves of the oversized leather jacket, Brooke stays quiet. She doesn't want to go back to the Upside Down, no one does to be fair. But, her dislike for the place is almost nothing compared to the anger she feels for it. A bright red anger that makes Brooke's grip on her knife tighter.

  Vecna started all this. Over what? They'll never understand.

  He destroyed the Byers' life, Nancy's life with the death of her best friend and soon after that Brooke's life, Stella's life. Everyone that sits in this van is affected by Vecna's need for power.

   It's dark now when the rest of the group approach Eddie's trailer, using the night sky as cover for Eddie.

   Steve swings the door open and that damned portal is still there, pulsating and everything. "You're going first?" Brooke asks, eyebrows knitting together. Steve takes a deep breath, lips pressing together, "Yeah. I'll be okay."

  "Be careful," Dustin tells him. "Thanks, buddy," Steve's hand grips the makeshift rope yet again, "Here goes nothing."

  They all watch carefully as Steve climbs and then flips towards the other side. He looks up at them almost smug, like, did you see my flip? Typical Steve behavior but Brooke still scoffs at her boyfriend. "Woah," Robin mutters sarcastically, "What does he want us to do, applaud?" Paisley chuckles, nudging her softly with her elbow.

  Steve gets the even dirtier mattress down, "Lets go," He calls outs. Nancy steps away from the rope, "Brooke," She gestures. "Why me?" Brooke says, still grabbing the rope though. "Your boyfriend," Eddie reminds her with a chuckle.

  Brooke rolls her eyes, looking up through dimensions at Steve. He flashes a smile at her which gives her enough reassurance to climb the rope.

  The adrenaline hits her all over again, the air sucking from her lungs for the split second she feels as though she's in a void. Her back hits Eddie's mattress and when she opens her eyes, Steve is there, hand out.