15. I SAVED HIS LIFE

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

BROOKE AND DANNY EACH can't take their eyes off of an unconscious Will. They're sitting across the room on the floor surrounded by papers Brooke can only assume Will made. Hopper has been yelling at someone to get the people at the lab help. Brooke's head feels stiff as she turns her head at Danny, "What'd you see in there? You wanna talk?"

   The Martel family isn't known for sharing their feelings, at least towards their parents. Brooke made sure that didn't continue as Danny got older but in this moment, Danny doesn't want to talk about the other things he saw, he doesn't want to mention watching his lifelong friend be in horrible pain so, he nods his head no and leaves his sister's side. Brooke's head drops, suddenly feeling all alone in a house full of people.

   Hopper hangs up the phone. "They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asks. "We'll see," Is all Hopper replies with. Mike scoffs, "We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

   Brooke turns her head towards Casey and Stella who are just talking amongst themselves but Casey's eyes flicker to Brooke's. Everything feels too intense for her right now. She looks away, tucking her knees to her chest.

   Paisley's arms leave Jonathan's side from the hug she had been giving him since they got back. "He's Will, he'll be okay," She reassures him. Jonathan glances at her with a thankful smile. Paisley leaves his side with a nod from Nancy letting her know she's got him and sits down next to Brooke. There's no words spoken. Paisley just simply lays her head on top of Brooke's shoulder.

   The quietness of grief comes over the house for a few minutes. Some processing what they saw and some processing what they lost.

   "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" Mike gently speaks up. "Really?" Lucas says from the dining room. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him." A soft smile plays on Brooke's face hearing the usual bratty one of the bunch try his best to be as gentle with the topic of Bob as he can.

   Brooke pushes herself up and walks over to Casey and Stella. She has no idea what the rest of the night holds but she already feels like an apology is in order.

   Casey looks up at her. The tear stained cheeks make him clench his jaw. Brooke sniffles, "I'm sorry. I should've told you both to fuck off and turn around," She chokes a bit on her words, "I have no idea what else is going to happen and I put you both in harms way—"

   Casey's hand touching Brooke's short circuits her brain. "It isn't your fault. We're nosy. Please don't ever feel like it is," Casey tells her. Stella feels as though she should say the same or just nod in agreement with her best friend but she has no idea what Brooke or Mrs. Byers saw. Stella can only guess it was fucked up enough to make the Brooke Martel tremble in her boots—well, sneakers. Brooke and Stella gaze at each other but Stella looks away, not knowing whether to agree or disagree with Casey.