22. BROOKE IS COMPLICATED

𓆩♡𓆪

𓆩♡𓆪

   THE MUSIC HAD FADED out throughout the night. Queen suddenly became silent to Brooke. The only thing she could really hear is Steve venting next to her. The wrinkle between his eyebrows every time he explained another shitty thing his parents have said or done. The deep breaths he takes like it physically pains him to talk about it. Brooke knows exactly how he feels.

   Her question was also answered, this wasn't the first time he's hurt Steve but—it was the first time he's punched him.

Late at night is when people become vulnerable. Tiredness makes bags around their eyes as they stay up late at night talking or thinking. Scratchy voices and fighting back tears when they're too vulnerable.

   Their bodies ended up with a pillow under each of their heads and the mattress beneath their backs.

    "You know you don't deserve that, right? Like yeah, you're an asshole but no one deserves that," Brooke quietly says, her words right above a whisper. Steve tilts his head to the side, "You know you don't either, right?"

    Brooke's eyes move from the ceiling to the brown haired boy next to her. It's almost intimate. The intimacy is something that scares Brooke. Casey and Steve are different and not just for their personalities but for how Brooke feels with them.

   Brooke always felt like she was trying too hard while being with Casey. First relationship jitters—trying to make sure they don't leave so you force everything that a relationship should have.

  Casey loves cheesy things. The typical romantic shit. Brooke hated it. She hated the sweet words he spoke to her. She hated the way he would randomly kiss her but she felt obsessed with him still.

   Brooke just tells herself it's because she's never been in a relationship. She had never felt how one was supposed to be.

   But Brooke kinda hates being alone and her relationship with Casey made it so she was almost never alone. The second she is left to think, everything she stuffs down crawls up and into her brain like a virus. The self deprecating thoughts become loud, like they're banging on the back of Brooke's forehead begging her to lose her mind. Just crack. Instead of doing normal mundane reckless teenager shit, she wants to lose it.

Break shit. Smash cars with a bat. Anything to break anything.

    But no, she can't do that. She has to stay somewhat sane for El and Danny.

   Steve drowns out those thoughts. Steve isn't boring. Steve Harrington has never once left Brooke feeling bored, if anything, their years of bickering have left Brooke nothing but entertained. She doesn't feel so suffocated by Steve when she's around him. She doesn't feel forced to put on this persona because Steve has seen all the bad parts of Brooke and still talks to her so that has to mean something.