7. I ASKED NICELY

𓆩♡𓆪

LISTENING TO THE BOYS gives Brooke almost an instant headache. The monster, the gate, the Upside Down? She glances between Paisley and Jonathan, her jaw slightly dropped as she runs her hands over her face.

  "Is this gate underground?" Hopper calmly asks. "Yes," Eleven answers. She's so quiet that Brooke decides to lean forward in case the girl talks again. Hopper looks at her, "Near a large water tank?"

  "Yes," Eleven answers again. "How did you figure that out?" Danny asks Hopper. The chief doesn't say anything, he just lets out a loud sigh. Brooke laughs when she connects the dots, "He's seen it." Hopper looks at Brooke through his lashes and Brooke just smirks at him. Brave son of a bitch.

   Joyce leans forwards, "Is there any way that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this—"

   Eleven's soft voice cuts Joyce off, "The Upside Down."

  "Down. Yeah," Joyce whispers back. "And my friend, Barbara? Can you find her, too?" Nancy asks her. Eleven is silent, just a small nod of the head.

  EVERYONE SURROUNDS ELEVEN AT the Byers kitchen table. The static from the walkie-talkie in front of her annoys Brooke to high hell but she keeps her mouth shut and picks at her fingers.

  Paisley's head rests on Jonathan's shoulder as she anxiously bites the inside of her cheek. Rather than watch Eleven though, her eyes stay on Nancy who is desperately hoping for any sign of life from Barbs.

   The lights flicker around them and the static becomes faint when Eleven opens her eyes. A sad look is on her face as she looks across the table at Joyce, "I'm sorry."

   Brooke stands up straight as Joyce begins to stutter. "What's wrong? What happened?"

   Eleven's voice breaks, "I can't find them." She looks up at Nancy as Jonathan walks away from the mess. Paisley follows after him. She doesn't want him to isolate himself and make himself suffer alone.

  Brooke's head falls as she grips the table in front of her. Danny looks up at his sister and he sees the tears brimming her eyes. He gently places his hand on top of hers but Brooke doesn't move from her position of heartbreak.

  Eleven pushes out the chair and storms away to find the bathroom.

  Paisley drags Jonathan back right in time for the boy's next explanation. Brooke is starting to think the worst—Barbs and Will are dead. She believes Eleven can do this, whatever this is but that won't make them less dead.

   "Whenever she uses her powers, she gets weak," Mike explains. "The more energy she uses the more tired she gets," Dustin adds on and then Lucas continues, "Like when she flipped the van earlier."