19. AN ELECTRICAL FIRE

𓆩♡𓆪

  𓆩♡𓆪

   MUSIC BLASTING FROM THE radio next to her drowns out the happiness of the newest couple of Hawkins—Nancy and Jonathan. Brooke and Paisley found themselves waiting for a ride from Steve Harrington as they watch their best friends give each cheek pecks. There is never an unnecessary amount of PDA from the two but the 'newly' heartbroken for the first time Brooke Martel and the I'm a lesbian in Indiana in the 80's and I'm fucking terrified Paisley Slora are not digging it and haven't been digging it.

Brooke regrets even thinking dating someone was a good idea. She went 17 years without proper experience—only short make out sessions and pity moans to guys at parties and she thought she could handle one. Who the hell could've gotten Brooke though? She bites the hand that feeds her if it pisses her off enough.

Casey. Casey Windward. February 1985 is when it all started and then June 1985 is when it all ended like a dumpster fire that had no chance of being put out. Both parties not realizing they didn't even want the other like that—it was just the convenience, at least Casey realized that part.

Being with Casey was intoxicating. Not the kind where the love and obsession was mutual. One of them clearly loved the other more and it wasn't Casey.

So, when the words I love you spilled from Brooke's mouth mid makeup session, she had no idea why she was so surprised that he had gotten up and ran out of the cabin, muttering something about how he has to go do something.

The next day was an argument that shook the cabin. One that Brooke kept getting louder and louder to the point where El thought steam would come out of her ears like one of her Saturday morning cartoons.

"I don't love you!" Casey yelled, cutting off Brooke's breathing. Fingers go from being clenched to cold.

Casey left the cabin once again with the slam of the door. It almost felt like a fucking shitty metaphor—Casey abruptly closing the door on Brooke.

Her heart sped up but she didn't go to Jonathan or Paisley or Nancy, Brooke's knuckles collided with the wood surrounding Steve's window. With a jump from the side of his Walkman flying off his head, Steve opens the window for a tearful Brooke.

Brooke had no idea why she came there that night—Steve figured it out pretty quickly. He's the only person that understood her at that moment.

The honking of Steve's obnoxious car wakes Brooke up from her replay of her breakup.

"Fucking finally!" Brooke shouts too loud, making Nancy and Jonathan pout at her. She gives a nervous smile, "I mean, I love young love. I'm only surrounded by it 24/7. You Wheeler's and taking my best friends—it's rude," Brooke copies their pout, referring to El and Mike who are most likely sucking face and getting yelled at by Hopper.