2. ARE YOU MENTALLY INSANE?

𓆩♡𓆪

   𓆩♡𓆪

     DIRT COVERED CONVERSES sneak into Brooke's house. Paisley and Brooke pant, soaked from the downpour outside. "What the hell was that?" Brooke says, slipping her red sneakers off and onto the mat. The human-like figure and the growls and the screams. It's just running on a loop in her head.

    "A bear. I told you," Paisley places her shoes next to Brooke's. "P, are you kidding me? That was not a bear," Brooke harshly whispers. She points her finger in the direction they came from. She refuses to believe it was a fucking bear. A bear doesn't scream like that. Unless there's a new breed of bear Brooke didn't know was discovered.

     "Okay, I don't care. I'm soaked. We're gonna get water everywhere!" Paisley tugs at her shirt. It's see through at this point and her jeans feel glued to her body. She's so uncomfortable standing in the Martel kitchen. None of the lights are on except the dim one above the sink.

    "You stay here. I'll get the towels," Brooke uses Paisley to help herself as she takes off her socks. She shivers slightly as she walks over to the closet. She rolls her eyes knowing she'll have to clean the water up before Paisley and her fall asleep.

    Every movement is so quiet, at least Brooke hopes. Between the adrenaline and the high, she still feels like her head might just spin off her shoulders.

    The sound of her studded leather bracelet accidentally smacking against something in the closet makes her curse under her breath, grabbing two random towels and tip toeing back.

   "I'm gonna freeze to death in your kitchen."

   "You're so dramatic," Brooke tosses the towel right in Paisley's face, "Wrap your hair up with that when you're done. I have to ask Daniel what the cops said about Will in morning, and if there's a new breed of bear that looks like a fucking human—"

   "Oh, quit it. Even if it is a new breed of bear, Will missing is way more important," Paisley says and wraps the towel on her hair. Brooke knows her mom is home but she has work in the morning so she and Paisley can't even breath all too loud. Her pants from earlier gave her anxiety about waking Kathleen.

    Family pictures line the walls. All lies. That is all they are to Brooke. Lies.

  She narrows her eyes at the picture of her grandma. Her mom's mom. Brooke hates her. Even Paisley hates her. She's pretty sure Kathleen hates her as well but God forbid she says that. Her mom always told her the story of the insults flung at her when she told her mom she was pregnant the first time—and when she found out who the dad was? Jesus. Kathleen holds her head in her hands each time she brings it up.

    Brooke can talk all the shit she wants about her parents but her grandma opening her mouth every visit or holiday nearly sends Brooke into a spiral. Constant judgement. She feels bad her grandpa had to deal with her for 53 years. Death was his only escape—actually, she still talks shit about the man, even six feet into the ground.