Chapter 2

Our family drove over to my dad's business partner's house for dinner. They wanted us to have a home-cooked meal for our "travels," as they said it.

Let me tell you this. Their house was no house, it was a fucking mansion.

Big circle driveway with huge blossom trees lining up and down their yard. Two, four-car garages with a pool and huge field in their backyard. Get this, there are only two of them that live there. The man who is named Chris Johnson and his son, Carter Johnson.

Before dinner, my mother gave my brother and me a lecture on being polite and behaving ourselves to our hosts. She didn't have to tell me twice. My dad and Mr.Johnson are in the lounge room talking about upcoming projects. My mother is talking to one of the cooks, there are seven so far that I have counted. Soran is talking with the boy from earlier, Carter.

I am sitting with them, but not saying anything. Just listening to them talk about sports and such. I learned that Mr.Carter Johnson is a first-string quarterback for the school's football team and is only a sophomore. That is actually very impressive.

"Honestly it's not too bad here besides the winters, but you're probably used to that." Mr.Quaterback says.

"Yeah, but we lived closer to the suburbs." I smelled the delicious aroma of food.

My mom peeked through and said, " Dinner is ready."

The men got up and left for the kitchen, Carter followed.

"Are you okay?" Soran asks. "Yes, I am just so hungry."

I walked passed him into the kitchen. Holy shit! The table was filled from corner to corner with a variety of colorful foods.

On one side there is ham, turkey, chicken, salad, and other vegetables. On the other there is assortments of fruit, sandwiches, and things I have never seen before.

"I didn't know what you all liked nor could decide on what I wanted, so I ordered everything." Mr.Johnson chuckled.

"This is plenty, thank you." My mother says.

My dad said, "This could feed an army."

To my right, I noticed an open chair, so I slid the chair out and sat down.

"You can't sit there." The bad boy with a temper, hissed at me."No, she can sit there, Carter." Mr.Johnson scolded his son, "It is okay, I can move."

No one said anything after that, I stood up and scooted the chair back in. I grabbed the one to the right of it, for shits and giggles, I made eye contact with Carter and he just rolled his eyes.

Rude.

We all sat down, and automatically my family all grabbed each other's hands and we began to silently pray.

Dear Lord, thank you for this food and safe delivery to our new home. Amen. Short and sweet. Kind of like me.

After we finished praying, we opened our eyes and I noticed the Johnsons' already eating. Either they didn't pray or they did it super fast. Either way, the food looked amazing and I couldn't wait to start eating.

Talking among themselves, I could feel a pair of eyes on me, so I looked up and made eye contact with Mr.YouCantSitThere.

I awkwardly looked away and turned to Soran. "Do you think we could watch a movie tonight?"

He didn't respond so I asked again, "Soran, can we watch a movie tonight?"

Without looking at me, "yeah."