Chapter 3

Here we are, sitting at a diner in town. Soran, Carter, me, and two of Carter's friends from school. Their names are James and Courtney. They are fraternal twins, obviously. They seem pretty nice, Courtney is a talker though. She hasn't shut up since we got into the car. She mainly talks about school, skiing, and her love for the Jonas brothers. She seems nice though. They are both sixteen and live a few blocks away from Carter. They are also in their junior year of high school. Their birthday is in March.

The waitress came by and handed me a cup of coffee that I had ordered.

I thanked her and she walked away. "What kind of coffee do you drink?"

"Black, sometimes with cream if it is too strong." I take a sip, "ahh, like that." The bitter taste is strong on my tongue.

"Our coffee here is super strong, one time when I first started drinking coffee, I didn't think about putting creme in and it was so strong I spit out." Courtney explained, " I never drank coffee again."

"I love coffee, I don't drink it as much anymore, but every once in a while I'll have some," I told her.

Our food came and the boys dug in. Soran ordered a breakfast sandwich with hash browns, Carter ordered an omelet with hash browns, and James ordered pancakes with hash browns. Courtney ordered a strawberry smoothie with a yogurt parfait. I thought it was kind of weird, but I didn't say anything. I ordered chocolate chip pancakes with hash browns. I love pancakes, especially with chocolate.

"So why did you two move here?" Courtney asks while taking a sip of her smoothie.

I looked over at Soran to answer her, but he just shrugged.

"Well, my dad is co-owner of Carter's company and for a while, he wanted to move over here, so we decided now was the time." She nodded in understanding while Carter scoffed. I could tell James kicked him under the table from the painful expression on his face.

"My dad told me you moved here because you got scared of an imaginary ghost in your house, so you forced your family to move here." Soran looked up.

"You don't know the half of it, she literally got possessed multiple times, and almost died." Ouch, that hurt.

He knows I don't like talking about it, or telling people because they will think I am crazy or something. I start to feel my cheeks redden, so I look away out the window. "I'm sorry, Sarah."

I shake my head and from the sound of it, no one said a word. Not even Carter. The snow is crystal white, twinkling from the lights outside.

The last day before the new semester starts and I have no school supplies. I guess my parents forgot about that. My dad told Soran to take me to the store to get supplies. He also gave him his debit card.

The store is about fifteen miles away. I guess I never realized how far out of town we are. The island cottage we are staying in is almost twenty miles from school. That is about a thirty-minute drive. Soran and I are walking up and down aisles trying to find any school supplies. Notebooks, pencils, folders, you know, the works.

We didn't find anything, mostly pencils. I have some unused notebooks that I can share with Soran, so we called it a day. We bought some pencils and went out to the car. We got in and he turned on the heat.

"Hey, I really wanted to apologize for what I said earlier. I didn't mean to disrespect you." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "I know people have their opinions and they will believe what they want, but I was just so angry about what he said."

"I know, thank you for sticking up for me." I kissed his cheek and he starts to drive off. "Always," he said.

It's the first day of school and I am already running late. I didn't get much sleep last night because of the nightmares I had. I stayed awake for most of the night, I kept seeing things out of the corner of my eye. I told myself that I was imagining it. I knew I was because I couldn't feel anything. I was siking myself out.