Chapter 40- Sanctuary

SORAN POV

"You're nothing, a defect of life," it screams at me.

"You had one job, you killed her, but you needed to kill them all," its voice echoes in my mind.

Pushing open the motel door, the smell of rotting eggs enters with me. Right behind me, it stands looking over the filth I have become.

Engrossed with the satisfaction I give it, it leads away down the hall. I need to focus on the next step, killing it.

"You will not run from me, you can't!" It reminds me, "you still have work to do."

Throwing the bloody clothes on the bed, I fall back onto the queen-sized bed. The ceiling tells me to stop spinning my mind and follow the rules of the devil.

"Fuck," I rub my eyes to get rid of the hallucinations it is making me see.

Still there laughing at me, I flick it off, "fuck off."

Okay, what's next?

I sit up on the bed and look out the crooked window. Grey skies mixed with the wilted leaves on the motel window sill are becoming my least favorite thing.

I keep rewatching the same things happen over and over and over again until I can't take anymore. After a while, the entity realizes this and stops. It wants me to feel the pain and torment of its actions.

It blocks me from dismantling myself. My blood begins to boil and then it goes dark.

Kind of like when I killed her. Killed the love of my life, for what?

A stupid game.

The stupid game cost me everything I have ever known and loved. Goodbye to my family, friends, bed, and even my chance at ever living a fulfilled life.

When it is done with me, it will leave me high and dry in a ditch. Going to prey on its next victim, I am assuming it will be Carter.

The kid doesn't have a chance at survival. He has too many issues begging to be immersed into something more.

His anger is vile, but Sarah has it handled for now. At least I hope she does, Sarah was always the level-headed one.

Her answers to prayer always inspired me to do better and to be the better man I know I could be. Now, I am nothing except a small scared little boy who needs to face his terrible actions.

I need to be careful of what I am thinking and saying. It is always listening to me, to my thoughts.

When I was back home after Becky, I was hysterical. I was at my breaking point.

The aftermath was the most painful experience I have ever gone through. At first, it was a shock that it even happened then it turned into a panic about what I really just did, and then the shame came.

It had killed her in the shed by the lake. The man the entity was also attached to was there with me. It was his shed, he mainly used it for hunting purposes.

Up here in Maine, hunting on those grounds was prohibited, I didn't understand why it was there though. It wasn't like it was his property. It was the states' property.

I never questioned it though, the fewer questions asked, the better for all of us in the end. The man was a trucker, he looked familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint where I have seen him before.

All I knew is that Becky was going to die and I couldn't stop it. I fought it off for as long a I could.

My intention was to never hurt her, I actually had feelings for her. I guess the entity saw it as an opportunity and took it.