Chapter 31- Darkness

"I'm alive bitches!" James yells into the phone.

"James?" I couldn't believe it, he was alive. He is alive.

The moment of silence reached me when I hear Carter talking to James on the phone. Heaviness releases through my pores and is replaced with relief.

The memory of James's eyes as he collapsed in Carter's arms reminds me of the seriousness of the matter. I drag my eyes from the lit phone and watch as Carter hangs his mouth open.

"Yeah, dude," James says.

"Did you talk to your parents?" His voice comes out shy, "no, not yet."

I have seen enough movies and read too many articles to know what this could mean. The entity could be tricking us or he really is awake.

In some cases, people who are possessed or have an attentcment can possibly lose the memory of when the entity used them. James could be a victim this time.

"I woke up about an hour ago and couldn't find my phone, so I asked the nurse and she said someone had dropped it off a few hours before I woke up." Carter's face turns up, "did the nurse say who it was?"

There was silence on the other end, "no."

"Hey, I have to go, the nurses are calling my parents." He quickly hangs up the phone and carter puts his phone back in his pocket.

A smile appears on Carter's face, the dimples showing prominently on his cheeks. His eyes crinkle, "hahaha."

"This is great, amazing!!" He runs to me, hugging and rocking me back anf forth.

His bright t-shirt wrinkling from the movement, but he doesn't care. His best friend is alive.

All I can think about is the aftermath of this shit. He can finally tell everyone what happened, our names will be cleared and his family can have peace.

I don't know about James though, he can easily be distraught. Backing away I ask, "did he say if he remembers what happened or how he woke up?"

"No, he just woke up and thought to call me, he said he had no idea what happened or how he got there," time laps.

I awkwardly stand in front of Carter. What is the chance that it is the one I didn't want to happen? He doesn't remember a single thing.

That could be because he just woke up and would need a few days to recover. It is also possible that his memories will slowly come back in flashes.

Carter still smiles in disbelief that his best friend is awake, alive, and okay. One thing that remains lingering.

"Do you think James will remember that we talked to him when he was in a coma?" I ask aloud.

His face falters a bit, thinking of an easy answer he says, "maybe."

"But that doesn't matter, none of it does." His hands are placed on either side of my head, "it's okay, it is all going to be okay."

Somehow I knew it wasn't going to be okay.

Carter and I went back to the Cafeteria and we saw Courtney running out of the school towards the front parking lot. She probably got the news her brother is alive and he was conscious.

I called Becky a few times and she didn't answer my calls or return any of the texts I sent her regarding James or my brother. I figure she found him, but that is even scarier on its own now that we know he could possibly be possessed or have an attachment.