Chapter 21- Rain

I had a weird feeling last night. I kept tossing and turning and could not fall asleep.

Soran was okay and he didn't have any nightmares. Normally I can't seem to fall asleep when he is going to have one or if he is having one.

However, I did ended up falling asleep around 2:30 am. My alarm clock woke me up at 6 with a high pitch tuning sound.

My mother is working a double at the hospital and my father went to work early. I haven't heard from Carter this morning, so Soran is taking me to school.

We are running very late. He just woke up ten minutes ago and we have ten minutes to get to school.

It is 7:30 and school starts at 7:40. "Soran, we are going to be late."

"I know, I know," he runs down the stairs skipping a few. I grab his backpack from the kitchen table and hand it to him as we walk out the door.

"Are we moving into the new house this weekend?" I nod, "Yeah, tomorrow bright and early."

We passed the turn to school and he kept driving straight. It is getting warmer out, the windows down, music volume up, and the sweaters come off.

"Where are we going?" He takes a left down ny the town sign, "school is the other way."

"We aren't going to school, today," he simply says. His eyes are trained on the road and his hands are relaxed on the bottom of the wheel.

His hair has gotten longer almost down to his shoulders now. Before his hair was freshly cut and out of his face.

Now his hands are awlays pushing his hair out of his eyes, "you should get a haircut."

"No," he takes another turn down a dirt path.

"Seriously, where are we going?" He slows down a bit where there are pot holes.

He doesn't say anything more. I fight the urge to argue with him and sit back in my seat.

Becky is going to be so pissed at me when I don't show up. Today is Friday, it has been about a week since Carter and I talked about his mother and the accident.

We saw each other a couple of times this week, but he didnt want anyone to know what we talked about. He kept a low key profile at school and mostly hung around Courtney.

Soran enters a wooded area filled with brush. The car shakes a little bit and then he pulls the car over.

"Stay here, I'll be right back." He turns the truck off and gets out. "What are you doing?"

He walks off into the wooded area and disappears. What in the hell is he doing??

I shake my head and put on my headphones. I shuffle through my playlist until I find the right song.

Walking on water...

Holding you near...

I'm hoping if God don't break you...

We can stay right here...

The lyrics talk to me in a sense of calm, my eyes close and the rain drops become embedded in my mind.

Cause your love is like rain on my skin...

It softens the surface...

Sinking fast don't know how to act...

An image of Carter pops into my head. His shaggy brown hair curling by his eyes invites me into his world.

And it's an overcast...