Chapter 4

I AM FUCKING FREEZING MY ASS OFF.

I didn't bring a jacket to school and my converse are soaked. Carter brought me to this trail at the school leading to a wooden dock looking over a small lake. Snow was no longer falling, but a chilly breeze is in the air and it is still morning.

When we got to the dock he told me there would be a family of deer walking across the lake. We waited for a couple of minutes and there they were. Daddy deer, mommy, deer and two Bambi's, walking across the lake.

The mommy was in the front leading them across while the daddy was in the back watching the babies. They slowly made their way over and into the forrest.

"They do this every morning." Carter looked amazed at the deer, like he had never seen them before.

Now we are just watching the wildlife around us, birds, deer, rabbits, and small critters. Carter is really satisfied with wildlife. He has been telling me these stories about wildlife and all the times he went camping.

A few minutes ago he stopped and just starred out into the forrest. "Why didn't you come back to class?" I inhale a long breath trying to come up with an answer.

I exhale and say, "I wasn't feeling that well, I just need to be alone I guess."

"Do you still feel sick now, we should proabby get back if you're not." He starts to walk off when I stop him.

"No, I am fine now, I think I just needed so fresh air." What was I supposed to tell him? That his friend was talking shit about me and spreading rumors? Carter was the one that started everything, he has been nothing but rude to me since I got here.

"Come on, I know a place we can warm up." I jog up to him and we start walking.

*snap* I look to my left where I heard the snapping from.

*snap* Again, but I heard it from behind me.

It's just the branches falling, don't worry about it." Carter clarifies. "Doesn't sound like branches falling, more like branches breaking." He shrugs and keeps walking.

I take a moment and focus. Closing my eyes, I listen to the wind blowing against the trees, the birds chirping in the distance, and the footsteps of critters running. I feel the breeze leave goosebumps against my skin and the harsh wind making my face red.

I can almost feel something, something that is not supposed to be there. I open my eye and look out into the distance. What was there before that isnt now? What wasn't there, but is now? The hill passed the dock. The sun was shining before and now it isn't. I open my eyes and see it. A figure of a man. The man is distant, I could barely make out what it was until I pulled my eye.

"Carter, can you see that?" I point to the man on the hill. "What? The hill?" Shit.

The man started to walk towards us, slowly. I stared for a moment hoping it would pass, but it did not. That feeling of a presence came and that is when I knew it was a spirit. I am glad it is a spirit and not an entity. Spirits are much more easier to predict than an entity.

The spirit disappeared, but I could still feel it in the area. It wasn't a bad feeling, but it wasn't a good one either.

"Let's go, I am freezing out here." He took off his jacket and gave it to me.

"Here take this," I held out my hand, "no it's okay, we are on our way back."

"We aren't going back to the school, we are going somewhere else." He hung it around my shoulders and I put my arms through. "Aren't you going to be cold?" He shook his head, "No, I am wearing layers."