ix

It took Tamia longer than usual to make it to Melvalds but that was due to the number of police cars going to the one place that Tamia didn't want to think about that, she told herself to stop thinking about it as she parked in the empty parking lot

It took Tamia longer than usual to make it to Melvalds but that was due to the number of police cars going to the one place that Tamia didn't want to think about that, she told herself to stop thinking about it as she parked in the empty parking lot. They had just opened so it wouldn't take Tamia long to get what she needed and then once she finished she had to call her parents which she was dreading. She didn't know what excuse she was going to use but she had plenty of time to think of one.

She heaved a sigh as she opened her car door and got out, the little bell above the door rang when Tamia swung the door open but no one paid her any mind, Tamia made a b-line straight for the snacks and started to pick out a couple of Eddie's favorites, Tamia didn't know how long they would hide out but Tamia planned on staying with Eddie the whole time. He was all she had now and she couldn't bare to lose that.

Tamia walked over to the front and dropped all the snacks that she was holding in her arms into the basket, she looked at the amount of stuff with a wince. It was a lot of food and Tamia hasn't even gotten to the important stuff yet. She sighs as she grips the handles of the cart and starts to roll it towards the aisle with the can of beans, she doesn't know what Reefer Rick has but if they run out of stuff Tamia can always take the risk and grab some more food. Tamia grabs ten cans of beans before deciding that she had enough, she rolls the cart to the last aisle in the store before grabbing a case of water.

Tamia nods at her basket before she starts to wheel it towards the checkout, the cashier looked bored as he watched Tamia place her stuff on the conveyor belt. Tamia sucked her teeth as she grabbed the credit card from her wallet that her parents told her to use for emergencies, she figured that this counted as one. "That will be 35 dollars." Tamia winced at the price but paid it anyway. "Thank you," Tamia muttered as she placed the bags into the cart.

She rolled the cart outside and toward her car, she opened the backseat and started to place the groceries into her car. Once she got down to the water bottles she rolled the car toward her trunk and popped it before picking up the water and placing them in there, she was lucky because she found two quarters which would be enough for her to call her parents. Tamia pressed her lips together as she rolled the cart back inside haphazardly knowing that it was close enough, she rubbed her hands together nervously as she picked up the payphone after she placed the coins into the slot.

Her hands shook as she dialed the number and waited for someone to pick up the phone. "Hello?" Tamia said after someone picked up but it was silent. "Oh my baby, where are you? You were supposed to come home after work?" Tamia's Mom said voice worried, Tamia closed her eyes tightly. She was ashamed, she had made her parents worry about her and now she was going to lie. "Yea, It was already late enough that I didn't feel comfortable driving that late I just crashed in my car." It was a lousy lie and Tamia knew it but it was all she's got. "Okay honey, just come home. We have to tell you something." Tamia had a lump in her throat as she spoke. "I know Mom, I know about Chrissy." For the first time since she learned, a tear dripped down her face but she quickly wiped it away.

"Honey, I'm so sorry but please come home. I don't want you out there knowing a killer is out there." Tamia gripped the phone tightly in anger as she listened to Her Mother talk, she took a few deep breaths before speaking. "I can't, I promise I'll come home soon." And with that Tamia slammed the phone back onto the receive ending the call, Tamia walked over to the trashcan and kicked it as hard as she could. "Ahh!" Tamia screamed as loud as she could, she knew that people heard her but she had to get it out.

She stepped back away from the trash can and walked quickly to her car, speeding away before anyone could come out of the store and see what was going on. Tamia didn't know how long it would take for her to get to lovers lake but she hoped it would be quick, on her ride back she suddenly laughed out loud. If someone passed her as they were driving they would think she's lost her mind but that's because she has, she was thinking about how Eddie told her that Chrissy died, she didn't believe it because what Eddie was describing sounded impossible but she knew that the brain made up this in response to trauma so Tamia may never know what happened to Chrissy, and she was going to have to be okay with that.

For some reason Tamia was expecting to see police cars at the Lipton house and the secret would be over and Eddie would be sent to jail but it was empty just like how Tamia left it, she parked in the back like she did last night and made sure that her car couldn't be seen from the road even though no one came up here anyway and when they did they weren't worried about no cars. She popped the trunk before she got out of the car, she opened the back seat doors and grabbed as many bags as she could before walking up the back stairs toward the backdoor.

She placed them on the porch before running back down and grabbing the water from the trunk and closing it, she winced as she walked up the steps. She exchanged as a sad smile with Eddie as he opened the door and grabbed the water case from her hands, it was just them now.