xvii

Tamia kept her eyes trained on Max who was sitting closest to the window with Dustin in the middle separating Max and Lucas

Tamia kept her eyes trained on Max who was sitting closest to the window with Dustin in the middle separating Max and Lucas. She purses her lips together as she turns her head towards Steve who is driving, she noticed that he is gripping the steering wheel. She knew that it was stressful and Tamia didn't blame Steve, she felt the same way.

She brought her hand up to her mouth and started to nibble on her cuticles, she winced when she hit herself in the face from the bumpy road of the trailer park. Tamia ran a hand through her hair as Steve stopped the car. "This better be fast, Mayfield," Steve says as he puts the car in park. "Twenty Seconds," Max promises as she opens the door and gets out with the letter in hand, they watch as she adjusts her backpack as she walks towards the door.

Tamia looks at Dustin in the rearview mirror before turning around and touching the walkie-talkie. "That thing has batteries in it right?" Tamia asks Dustin who rolls his eyes. "I'm not even answering that question." Tamia chuckled while next to her Steve looked confused. "Yes, it has batteries in it." Dustin clarifies for Steve who wrinkles his nose and moves his hand up placatingly. "Yeah, I got it." Tamia hides her smile with her hand before rubbing it across her face.

Tamia watched as Steve sighed before he got out, behind her Lucas and Dustin did the same, but Tamia stayed in the car. She could feel the pull as she felt the emotions bubble over from the last few days, she let out a slow deep breath before she scrubbed a hand across her face. Her brows raised in concern when she saw Max walk around the trailer and towards the car, she squinted. "That was longer than 20 seconds." Tamia rolled her eyes at Steve's comment, they watched as Max ignored him and tossed her backpack in the backseat before getting.

"Is everything okay? Did something happen?" Tamia asked turning so she can look at Max who has turned towards the window away from the crew. "Can we please just go?" Max instructed softly, Tamia looked at Steve with a worried look but nodded and started to buckle herself in as Steve shifted the gear and started to pull out of the RV lot.

The next stop that Max wanted Steve to make was to the cemetery, Tamia didn't know Max but she knew that Max had a dead stepbrother, who Tamia has a feeling is who Max is going to see. Tamia looks at Max nervously in the rearview mirror, she was resting her head on the side of the door. She had a fond smile when she saw that Dustin had his head rested back and mouth open and was resting his eyes, Tamia shook her head fondly as she peaked at Lucas. She bit her lip slightly as she saw him look out the window watching the trees as they drive by.

It didn't take them long before Steve started to pull into the cemetery, Tamia sucked in a breath as she looked at all the graves surrounding them. Soon, that's all Chrissy would be, she would be in a hole in the ground 6 feet under. She wouldn't be the girl that Tamia knew her as, she would just be gone with a plaque of her name. Tamia closed her eyes to try and stop the tears from escaping, she caught Steve staring at her as she rubbed a hand across her face but she waved her hand at him trying to get him to brush it off. He pressed his lips together as he switched the gear to park.

Tamia unbuckled and adjusted in her seat to bring her leg to rest on the edge of the seat. As soon as they parked Max opened the door and got out, and Lucas tried to do the same. "Max?" Max paused, and she turned to look at him. "Lucas, please, just wait in the car." But Lucas didn't listen, he ran around the car and ran next to her up the hill. "Max, just wait. Max, please."

Tamia sighed as picked at her nails, she felt Steve hit her boot and raised an eyebrow at her. "You alright?" Tamia shrugged as she picked off some of her black nail polish, a soft smile graces her face at the memory of Chrissy softly scolding her trying to break her nail polish-picking habit, but she never succeed. "I just don't like being in cemeteries," Tamia told Steve a half-truth hoping he would stop asking questions but he scrunched his nose before staring at Max and looking back toward Tamia. "You think what is gonna happen to Chrissy is gonna happen to Max?" Steve asks before he lets out a disappointed sigh, he rubs a hand across his face in frustration. "I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me."

Tamia lets a smile crack on her face. "It was, but you're fine. I hope not, I couldn't protect Chrissy but I can do my hardest to protect Max." Tamia was proud that her voice didn't crack because if it did it could reveal something that Tamia wasn't ready to share. Whatever Steve was gonna say died on his lips when Lucas opened the car door and jumped in shutting the door with a slam, both Steve and Tamia raised an eyebrow at each other before Steve looked back towards Lucas.

Tamia huffed out a short laugh before she let her head rest against the headrest as she looked towards Max who was sitting down cross-legged in front of a headstone, Tamia closed her eyes to give Max some privacy as she felt like she was seeing something that she shouldn't be. She let her thoughts fill with Chrissy, how smooth her skin felt under Tamia's fingertips, how she always smelled like strawberry even when Chrissy was sweaty from cheer practice.

 She let her thoughts fill with Chrissy, how smooth her skin felt under Tamia's fingertips, how she always smelled like strawberry even when Chrissy was sweaty from cheer practice