Umbrellas and Sparrows

We appeared on the rooftop of the Sparrow Academy

We appeared on the rooftop of the Sparrow Academy. I brought us out of the shadows. The last time I was here, Allison had rumored me. A frown settled on my place. Ben gently squeezed my hand and led me to a bench under a tree. It was silent for a little while as we enjoyed the sunset.

"You talk loud, you know that?" Ben gave me a smug grin.

"I do not!" I gasped, smacking his arm.

"I heard everything you and Sloane talked about while I was talking to your brother." Ben leaned back into the bench.

"So?" I tried my best to hide the growing blush on my cheeks.

"I don't want to hurt your either." Ben gave me a soft smile. Suddenly, his phone rang. With furrowed brows, Ben took out his phone and answered it. "Hello?"

The phone was one of the fastest and shortest conversations I've heard seen. Just as Ben had answered, the phone called ended. With a raised brow, he looked at me.

"They're bringing Harlan. They should be here soon." Ben stood up, pocketing his phone.

"Wait, what?" My brows creased together and I followed after Ben. He started to head to the door. "Who was it? Viktor wouldn't have hadn't him over. Not by choice."

"It sounded like Allison." Ben held the door open for me.

He studied my expression as it fell and quickly changed to anger. My jaw clenched as I figured it out. Viktor either doesn't know or Allison must have done something to change his mind. Either way, I know Viktor didn't willing give Harlan up. Ben gave me space and silence as I pondered all the possibilities of what could have happened. It wasn't until we passed the art wall that I picked up my pace, heading to the the stair case.

"Why do I have the feeling this isn't something you wanted?" Ben called out from behind me.

"Not like this." I shook my head, stopping on a step. Ben caught up with me. "Viktor was adamant to protect Harlan. We had a family meeting earlier about this. He hid Harlan so we couldn't give him to you. Viktor was scared you would hurt or kill him."

"He killed two of my siblings." Ben gave a sharp exhale. His fist clenched by his side as he tried to keep his cool. "I want to know why. Sloane explained the best she could about him to us."

"So you don't plan of killing him?" I hesitantly asked.

"I honestly don't know." Ben averted his gaze from me. He started to descend the steps when he saw Fei walk to the front door. "I don't know how I'll react once I hear what Harlan says."

I took a sharp gasp as a strong tug in my stomach hit. My hands grasped the railing tightly. A vision of a dark space blocked out everything around me, hearing Ben's voice in the background. The sudden feeling of claustrophobia flooded my senses.

Dead.

Dead.

Dead.

The word whispered in my ear in a haunting manner. The voice only grew louder and higher. My head hurt as it felt like the voice was echoing in my mind. I let out a whimper from the pain. My hands went to cover my ears to try and block it out.