Spoken Like a Hat

Harry Potter**

As Alistair's song drew to a close, the hall burst into applause, students and staff clapping so loudly together the noise was that of a roar. There was titilation amongst his peers, many whispering in relieved tones about how they were glad they only had to wear a hat. The red-haired boy made mention of another person claiming you had to fight a troll to be sorted, which Harry found rather amusing.

Stepping forward with a long roll of parchment, Professor McGonagall said, "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. Abbott, Hannah!"

Harry's attention was recaptured by Severus Snape, potions master at Hogwarts and his mate. It would seem that Mr. White would soon be coming to Hogwarts to check on his adopted children, Dominick and Astrid who had been enrolled late, where he would then meet this new mate of his.

Severus Snape was a tall man with lank, oily black hair, a hatchet nose, shining black eyes, thin lips and a slim physique. He had an imposing aura, one brought into stark relief by his all-black attire and impressive magical core. He was very powerful, and Harry knew the man considered himself to be more a dominant than submissive, but that would change. 

A small smile had worked its way onto Harry's lips without him realizing it. He almost missed when Neville went up to get sorted, but thankfully he happened to hear McGonagall's announcement of his new friends name. Unsurprisingly, Neville was sorted into Hufflepuff, and Draco, who was called soon after, was sorted into Slytherin. 

A few names later, and Harry was called. A silence followed. No one seemed to remember the second Potter boy, and whispers immediately followed that hiccup of quiet. One pair of eyes in particular locked on him, out from under a large purple turban, with lowered brows, pursed lips, and deepest scrutiny.

He settled onto the stool, posture perfect, and the hat was lowered onto his head. 

Pardon me, Harry heard Alistairs voice telepathically, But would you lower your mental shields so I may sort you?

That depends. . . 

Upon what, may I ask, young learner?

Is the information you acquire in my mind only under the purveyance of you, or can the keeper of the enslaved fire bird see it also?

Only me, child, only me. Good luck getting any information out of me, as if my mental shields were to falter, any information being sought would be destroyed immediately. It likely would not result in my death however, unless that person were so persistent they destroyed all that I am. Even, as you referred to this personage earlier, Dumbledore is incapable of accessing any of my knowledge. I am more surprised, in fact, that you were able to keep me out of your mind. Never have I encountered such a person. Once, I even met the famed Merlin, and even his shields could not keep me out.

I shall allow you access to my mind then, Alistair. 

Harry made the protections of his mind attuned to the hat, so that they would not be weakened in any way, but that the hat could also enter.

'Very interesting indeed, my dear. Now, I see you've already got information from this- this potion of yours. Indeed, it is quite rare for me to come in contact with one who has used such a potion. However, I am not sure if you've understood the significance of your results.

'Rare indeed, even unheard of, to have someone so well spread out across the four houses. Often it is one, two, perhaps, on the unique day, even three, but I do believe such an even split is unheard of. I shall, on this occasion, give you a very interesting opportunity. Officially, you would be declared a student of 'Hogwarts' House', by rules made by the founders. But, from what I've learned of you inside your mind, this arrangement would not suite your tastes.