V3E5: Pride before the Beatdown

I feel sick.

Hope cringed as Coco's knees buckled. There was a massive bruise on her exposed midriff and vomit dribbled from her busted lips. The fearless future huntress's eyes kept darting around like a paranoid schizophrenic, desperately searching for her hidden opponent's whereabouts.

This hurts to watch...

The charismatic, prideful and damned stubborn second year was currently getting her ass kicked in the arena and her current partner, Yatsuhashi, was nowhere to be found. It was safe to assume that he was locked in combat somewhere in the holographic jungle of the arena's battleground. Emerald walked out of the jungle, a predatory glare accompanying a toothy grin. She walked out in plain view of Coco but it seemed like the chocolaty sophomore just couldn't notice her.

"She's right in front of you! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

Hope's cringe deepened as a desperate Velvet screamed next to him. She's been doing this since the match took its defining turn. Yatsuhachi, meanwhile, was doing everything he could to try and take down Mercury.

He wasn't achieving much.

Mercury was a far more nimble fighter and his kicks hit like a Mack Truck. To win against him, Yatsuhashi would have to reconnect with Coco but for some reason unknown to him, he was stuck in the jungle.

"What's happening?" Fox asked. "Is he still stuck in that damned jungle?"

"Yup," Hope confirmed.

"How?! He's been stuck there since the match started!"

"Emerald has an illusion-type semblance."

The other half of Team CVFY stared at him bug-eyed in shock.

"What?!" Velvet exclaimed.

"Why didn't you tell them?!" Fox questioned.

Hope sighed frustratedly.

"I tried... But..."

Fox facepalmed, already knowing that this was somehow Coco's fault.

"Please don't tell me Coco told you not to spoil the surprise." He begged. "Please tell me she wasn't that damned stupid."

Hope snapped his fingers.

"Bingo."

Fox threw his hands in the air, screaming in frustration.

"DAMNIT COCO!" Fox exclaimed. "WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS!?"

On the massive screen above, the perspective switched from Coco to Yatsuhashi. He was not doing any better, blood dripped from his snarling mouth as he used his enormous sword as a support. Awful-looking bruises coloured his now exposed chest, hell, most of his outfit was torn to shreds along with his ruined armour. Hope smiled viciously as Mercury came into view, no way in better shape. The murderer in question was quacking in pain, a large gash ruining the back of his jacket.

"You son..." Mercury panted. "Of a bitch! That was... My favourite... Jacket!"

"And those were my favourite robes," Yatsuhashi replied venomously, his usual calm disturbed. "So now, we're even."

Mercury took his breath before scoffing dryly.

"Nah, I don't do even."

Yatsuhashi's already narrowed eyes narrowed further.

"Grudges are like poison for the soul, it can-"

Mercury cut the giant off with a boot to the nose. To his shock, CVFY's absolute unit did not budge despite the iron boot still pressing against his face.