23. Gideon Rises

Dani's POV

My eyes snapped open, my body covered in a cold sweat, shaking, heart pounding. I looked around the room suspiciously and paranoid that the horror may have followed me here. Cautiously, I sat up and removed the blankets from me. I swung my legs off the edge of the bed and turned my head towards the clock on my wall. 6:50 am. That wasn't a dream instead, it was a horrible reality that happened only days ago.

Groaning, I rubbed my face and got mad at myself for waking up. Lately, it's been hard to fall asleep since I keep waking up from these nightmares of what already happened; I only manage to get one or two hours of rest. I took a few deep breaths and lay back when my phone started ringing. It was an incoming video call from Dipper. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and answered the call to Dipper on the other side, looking even more exhausted and disgruntled than usual. "Hey..." he greeted in a rasped and tired tone.

"Hello..." I replied with a sympathetic smile on my face. "I'm assuming you couldn't sleep as well?"

"'As well?" Dipper asked, concerned. He took a long pause as he averted his gaze from mine. I can see the gears turning in his head. "So... you've been having nightmares, too, huh?"

My eyes widened at his question. "Yeah... I have," I responded.

"Have they been about the destruction of Gravity Falls?"

"Yes..." Dipper sighed; running a hand through his hair, I saw his birthmark. "I can't believe this..." I muttered. "We've been sharing the same dreams."

"This... this isn't good," Dipper stammered. "I—I don't like this. I mean, what if this is Bill? What if—what if he's torturing us?!"

"Dipper—" I tried to speak to him.

"He said he'd be watching us! He said big things were coming!"

"Dipper, please—"

"What if he is trying to get into our heads, to make us go crazy?! What if—"

"Dipper!" I shouted. He was hyperventilating at this point but could look into my eyes. "Listen to me; we defeated Bill. He's not going to come for us anytime soon. We're going to be alright, okay?" I just had to lie to him and myself. Dipper seemed to hesitate before nodding.

There was another pause between us before it was soon interrupted by a friendly face taking over Dipper's screen. Mabel. "Dani!" she shouted in excitement.

"Easy with the yelling, kid!" I heard Mr. Pines yell off-screen.

"Sorry, Grunkle Stan!" she hollered back. She turned her attention back to me. "Dani...!" she said in a loud whisper. "You helping us with our plan today?"

"Plan?" I questioned. "What plan?"

"Oh!" Dipper groaned, taking his phone back from his sister so I could see his face again. "I forgot the reason I called you! Gideon is announcing something at the Mystery Shack today, and we'll be there to see what it is and take back the Shack in the process."

"Really?" I inquired.

"Yeah! We have the whole thing planned out!"

"That sounds great! I'd love to help you guys out." My statement made Dipper smile. "But can you go over it with me later? If it's okay, I want to get another twenty minutes of sleep."

Dipper rubbed his tired eyes and chuckled. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I might do that too—"

The shout of an older woman cut off Dipper by yelling, "Breakfast is ready!" It sounded like Soos' grandmother.

"Wow, that was fast..." Dipper muttered. There was a pause before Dipper glanced at me and said, "Actually..."

I giggled at him. "Go eat, you goof."