2. Tourist Trapped

Dani's POV

Early morning is when I woke the next day. Surprisingly, it was a nightmare free night. Which is very confusing to me... Anyway, I got up refreshed and got dressed for today, heading straight downstairs afterward. I walked into the kitchen and saw my mum at the stove again and Millie at the table, coloring in her coloring book. I grabbed the chair that was next to hers and sat down as mum put a meat-free omelet in front of me. As I went to go take a bite, Millie stopped me. "Dani," she said. "I-I just wanna apologize for h-how I was acting yesterday. I-I know it was s-s-selfish of me t-to think you could spend time w-w-with me when you clearly h-h-had plans already." I smiled sincerely at her, but I knew something was off about this apology. When I went to confront her, she stopped me again. "And before you s-say anything, no. This was not a-an a-a-apology mum forced me to do." I looked over at my mum and she shook her head. "This is coming f-from the heart..."

I smiled again. "Aw, well thank you, Millie. That's really sweet of you." Millie grinned at me, but my face fell. "But I should be the one apologizing. I'm the one who ditched you for my own selfish needs," I said.

"But I'm the o-one who tried to hold y-you back..."

"But I'm the one who didn't help you..."

"Yeah, but I'm the one who—"

"Yeah, yeah! You're both guilty!" my mum yelled Millie off. "Now, eat your breakfast!" Millie and I lightly laughed to each other before we each took a bite of our food. We continued to eat as our mother asked, "So, Dani, any plans for today?"

A light blush appeared on my cheeks. "Um, yeah," I replied with a smile. "I'm planning on going to the Mystery Shack after breakfast."

My mother was in the middle of washing a cup, but she stopped and gave me a confused look. "Since when are yer interested in goin' to that wreck job?" she asked.

"Um, since I met this really nice guy at the library yesterday..." I explained, a red hue flushing my face.

"Ooohhh~" Millie teased as she poked my face.

I swatted her hand away. "Oh, come on, stop it!" I snapped.

"A sugar and spice bloke, eh?" my mum questioned. "Remember the last time ya said ya thought ya met one of those?" I looked down at my lap to see my satchel resting upon it. I opened it slightly to see a glimpse of the shiny rape whistle my mother gave me.

My face fell, the cruel thought sending a shiver down my spine, but I soon shook the feeling away. "No, this one's different," I told my mum. "He's nice and funny and actually understands me. I feel like I can trust this one..."

"B-But you just m-met the guy," Millie mentioned. I elbowed her in the side. "Ow!"

"Dani, ya kna I'm just tryin' ter protect ya, right?" Mother explained.

"I know," I said, "but there's no need to. Dipper seems like a good guy."

"What kind of name is D-Dipper?" Millie questioned.

"A perfect one!" I snapped. My mother and Millie both gave me a shocked, yet confused looks. My face and ears went red once I realized what I said. I cleared my throat and stood from my seat, adjusting my clothes and the strap of my satchel. "Um, so, I'm gonna... I'm gonna head over to the Mystery Shack now... yeah." I gave a quick nod and headed out the door.

---

After a few minutes and an ask around of where to find this shack, I finally made it and took a good look at the building. The Mystery Shack had no less than three exits. The main entrance, the porch entrance, and the gift shop door. One side of the sloping roof had the Mystery Shack name, but the "S" in "Shack" had fallen off. The roof with the "GIFT" sign also had a weather vane that had the letters W, H, A, and T, along with a question mark, instead of the usual W, S, N, and E. How strange...