15. Summerween

Dani's POV

Ah, Summerween. Halloween in Summer. A time for children to dress up for strangers so they can give them candy for a reason no one can explain. The only time it's allowed to take candy from strangers. It may seem like I'm putting down this holiday... but it's one of my favorites. It makes me feel like a kid again.

I was currently in one of the town's superstores which they turned into a 'Summerween Superstore', looking for fabrics and accessories for my costume. I've never bought a store made costume. My mother has always made mine. She loves it.

I picked up a brown belt off the rack and placed it in my basket just as I heard the sound of the front door open. I looked over and smiled when I saw the Pines family, along with Soos walked through. Dipper and Mabel immediately rushed over to a wheelbarrow and Mabel hopped in as Dipper pushed her through the store. "TO THE COSTUME AISLE!" they chorused, rushing towards that aisle.

I chuckled and followed them to find the two looking at the variety of costumes. "Hey, you guys!" I greeted, giving them a wave.

The twins looked over at me and Dipper smiled, while Mabel grinned widely. "Dani!" Mabel chirped and hopped out of the wheelbarrow. She scooped me up and held me bridle style. "How's it hangin'?"

I chuckled nervously. "I'm doing fine, Mabel but... can you put me down please?" I asked her. She gladly put me down and I adjusted my clothes. "So, I'm guessing you're here for Summerween?"

"Yup!" Mabel said, popping the 'p'.

"Wanna help us get supplies?" Dipper asked.

I giggled. "Sure," I replied. Mabel hopped back into the wheelbarrow and patted the spot next to her. I smiled and hopped in as well. Dipper started pushing the wheelbarrow around again with us inside. We all laughed together but Dipper ended up swerving the wheelbarrow and crashed us into a pile of jack o' melons. We laughed even more.

But our laughter soon faded when we heard the store's clerk over the loudspeaker say, "Have the police come and eject the Pines family and Miss Perkins from the store."

We exchanged a look before we saw Mr. Pines and Soos making a run for the exit. Mabel and I quickly hopped back inside the barrel and Dipper immediately started pushing out the door, following Mr. Pines and Soos. "You paid for Dani's stuff and our stuff, right?" Mabel asked her uncle as we made our way towards Mr. Pines' car.

"Of course!" Mr. Pines replied. I looked down at the stuff I got then at Dipper. He and I both shook our heads.

We made it to his car and they all threw their stuff in the trunk and I was hesitant to toss my stuff in as well. That was until Mr. Pines came up to me and took the stuff from my hands, trowing in the trunk. "Hop in," he told me before rushing to the driver's side. I quickly hopped in the back with Dipper and Mabel. Mr. Pines stepped on the gas and jerked backward, crashing into an inflatable Summerween decoration, which deflated. "Let's move!" yelled then sped in the opposite direction.

Oh boy.

---

Later that night, my mother had finished my costume and offered me to give me a ride. She drove me to the Mystery Shack and parked in front but before I was about to get out of the car, I reach inside my satchel and pulled out two bobby pins. I noticed my mother watching me with wide eyes as I moved strands of hair behind each of my ears, completely exposing them. "Dani!" my mother exclaimed as I put the bobby pins behind my ears to keep my hair in place. "You're showing your ears!"

I awkwardly chuckled as I reached back inside my satchel. "Heh, yeah, I mean, I figured it was about time to embrace them," I explained and pulled out a couple of earrings. "I... even pierced my ears last night... Please don't be mad!" I cringed waiting for my mother to say something but nothing happened. "Aren't... aren't you mad?"