6. The Inconveniencing

Dani's POV

It was a slow day at the shack so Dipper invited me over. The twins, Soos, Wendy, and I sat in the gift shop, casually hanging around. Wendy was reading a magazine, Soos was repairing something, Mabel was spinning on a globe, Dipper was reading out of the journal and I was leaning against his shoulder, making tiny braids in my hair, occasionally looking over his shoulder to see what he was reading. This time, he was reading a page about ghosts. "Mabel, Dani, do you guys believe in ghosts?" he asked us.

I nodded. "Of course," I said. "Mabel?"

"I believe Dipper's a big dork!" she teased. "Haha!" Dipper placed his pen on the globe, making it stop and causing Mabel to fall off. "Whoa!" she exclaimed as she fell. Dipper chuckled to himself but I gave him a playful glare before helping Mabel up.

Just then, Mr. Pines entered the shop from outside. "Wendy! Soos!" he hollered and Soos rushed up to him as Wendy casually made her way.

"What's up, Mr. Pines?" Soos asked, panting.

"I'm headin' out. You two are gonna wash the bathrooms, right?" Mr. Pines asked them.

Soos saluted proudly. "Yes, sir!" he said.

Wendy saluted as well. "Absolutely not!" she added.

Mr. Pines laughed then paused and gave the two a slight pause. "You stay out of trouble!" he said before leaving.

Wendy smirked to herself and walked across the room, stopping in front of a blue curtain. "Hey, guys! What's this?" she asked us and pulled back the curtain to reveal a ladder. "A secret ladder to the roof?"

Soos looked worried. "Uh, I don't think Mr. Pines would like that," he wavered. Wendy waved her hand in front of the ladder, freaking Soos out, and pulled it back. She waved her hand over the ladder again, freaking Soos out even more. "You're freaking me out, dude!" he exclaimed.

The twins and I walked up to Wendy and Soos and smiled, astonished. "Can we actually go up there?" Dipper asked, excitedly.

"Sure we can!" Wendy replied with a smile. She then started chanting, "Roof time! Roof time!"

The twins and I joined in. "Roof time! Roof time!" we chanted as we followed Wendy up the ladder.

We continued to climb and climb until we eventually made it to a spot on the roof with a lawn chair, an umbrella, an ice chest, and a bucket of pinecones right next to it. "Alright, check it out!" Wendy said, gesturing to the spot.

"Cool!" Dipper said in awe.

"Did you put all this stuff up here?" I asked her.

She shrugged, nonchalantly. "I may or may not sneak up here during work, all the time, every day," she explained. She then picked up a pinecone and chucked it at a totem pole that had a target taped to it. "Yes!" she cheered. The twins and I laughed and joined in with Wendy in throwing the pinecones. Dipper threw one and it hit a car, causing the alarm to go off. He blushed. "Jackpot! High-five!" Wendy exclaimed and held up her hand for him to high-five her. He just stared at her as she waited and I got this gross pit in my stomach. "... Don't leave me hangin'," she said, catching Dipper out of his trance. The two of them fived.

I decided to get in on the action as well. "Nice one, Dipper!" I said to him, holding up my hand. But he just continued to stare at her. The pit in my stomach grew. I sighed and put my hand down in defeat. Then we all heard the sound of a car pull up. We looked down and saw a blue van parked in front of the shack. Wendy beamed. "Oh hey, it's my friends!" she chirped.

A hand popped out from the driver's side and waved up at us. "Wendy!" they yelled.

Wendy looked sheepish as she turned to face the twins and me. "Hey, you guys aren't going to tell Stan about this, are you?" she asked us. Dipper smiled and zipped his lips, pretending to throw away a key. Wendy made the same motion. I huffed and crossed my arms. Great, they even have a handshake now. No, Dani, Wendy is a friend. You can't be mad at her for being friendly with Dipper. "Later, dorks!" Wendy shouted before hopping on a tree and the rest of us watched in awe as she jumped from tree to tree before landing on the ground and hopping into the van.