9. Irrational Treasure

Dani's POV

Pioneer Day. A day where the whole town of Gravity Falls gets together to celebrate the founding of this small borough. But it's also when all the antique stores in town have the biggest sales. So, this kinda my favorite day. I walked around the town, my antique objects in hand as I looked at all the different booths they had set up. I was caught up in admiring a booth where someone was selling handmade butter churns when I heard a familiar voice yell, "Nooooooooo!" I looked over and saw Mr. Pines' famous red car surrounded by covered wagons. I chuckled as a cow walked up to the side of the car where I saw Mabel pop her head up, nachos hanging from her ears. She smiled at the cow before noticing me and smiling even more. She began banging on the window, as I assumed she was shouting my name.

I giggled and made my way off towards their car, giving the cow a quick pet before it walked off. Mabel rolled down her window and popped out her window, immediately embracing me in a hug. "Dani! So good to see you!"

I giggled, even more, giving her pat on the back before I let go. "It's good to see you too, but I saw you like three nights ago," I laughed.

"I know," Mabel said, "but it's always nice to see you, Dani!" She grinned at me and smiled back.

I then looked over her shoulder to see Dipper shoveling nachos into his mouth. I giggled and waved to him. "Hello, Dipper!" I greeted. He waved back eagerly as he said something, but it was muffled by the number of nachos in his mouth.

He finished chewing and swallowed hard. "S' up, Dani?" he greeted then gestured out the window. "What's going on with everyone?"

I smirked. "Hop out and see," I told them.

They beamed and opened their doors, jumping out of their seats. I realized I still had my antiques in my hand and placed them in the backseat. Mr. Pines took notice of this and growled. "Hey, what do think you' re—ah, forget it," he grumbled and hopped out of the car as well.

The twins' eyes widened at what they saw as they looked around. "Man. Look at the town," Dipper commented. He held up a postcard of Gravity Falls and when he put it down, the town had a shade of sepia but that was only due to two men carrying a pane of old glass.

"Dirty glass. We got dirty glass! Dirty glass," one of the men announced as they passed by us.

"Ah, boy. It's Pioneer Day," Mr. Pines groaned. "Every year these yahoos dress up like idiots to celebrate the day Gravity Falls was founded."

I sheepishly rubbed my arm. "I happen to like this day..." I muttered.

Mr. Pines rolled his eyes. "Course you would," he remarked.

Toby Determined then walked up to us cheerfully. "Welcome to 1863!" he cheered.

Mr. Pines rolled up his sleeve and gave Toby a threatening gesture. "I will break you, little man!" he growled. Toby yelped and ran off but ended up tripping over a barrel. I cringed.

The twins looked around the booths in awe. "Wow! Look! Candle dipping!" Mabel exclaimed, pointing to one of the booths.

"Whoa, gold panning!" Dipper added, gesturing to another booth.

Right next to one of the booths there happened to be a small wedding taking place. "I now pronounce you man and wife," a priest proclaimed to a man and a woodpecker.

The woodpecker pecked the man's hand as the man cheered, "I do!"

Mabel tilted her head in confusion. "Whatchu talkin' 'bout?" she inquired.

My eyes widened in realization. "Oh yeah. I remember this," I said and reached inside Dipper's vest, pulling out Journal 3, and flipping to a certain page. "In Gravity Falls it used to be legal to marry woodpeckers," I read and put the journal back in Dipper's vest.