3. The Legend of the Gobblewonker

Dani's POV

It was a clear morning at the Mystery Shack as I sat at the kitchen table with Dipper and Mabel who were both about to have a "Syrup race". I took a bite of my oatmeal with a smile on my face as Mabel held up a syrup bottle and asked her brother, "Are you ready for the ultimate challenge?"

"I'm always ready!" he responded.

"Then you know what this means..." Mabel trailed off.

"Syrup race!" the twins chorused. They tilted their heads back, along with their bottles as the syrup slowly dripped down. "Ahhh!"

"Go, Sir Syrup!" Mabel cheered.

"Go, Mountie Man!" Dipper added.

I laughed and decided to join in on their chanting of, "Go! Go! Go! Go!"

I looked at Mabel and saw her tapping the bottom of her syrup bottle so she could cheat her way to win. "Almost... almost..." she trailed off. The syrup dripped into her mouth and Dipper just smiled and put his bottle down. "Yes!" she said and started coughing. "I won!"

I just chuckled at her and started eating my oatmeal again. "Ho ho, no way!" Dipper said, causing me to look over at him and see him read a newspaper. "Hey Mabel, Dani, check this out."

Mabel and I looked at the newspaper and my eyes widened at the article I saw. "Human-sized hamster balls?" Mabel asked excitedly looking at a completely different article. She gasped. "I'm human-sized!"

"No, no, Mabel," Dipper corrected her. "This." He then gestured to a monster photo contest ad that was in the newspaper.

"We see weirder stuff than that every day!" I added. "You guys didn't get any photos of those gnomes, did you?" I asked the twins.

"Nope, just memories," Mabel answered. "And this beard hair." She pulled out a few white locks and smiled.

I raised a brow at her as Dipper asked, "Why did you save that?" Mabel just shrugged, humming an "I dunno" sound.

"Good morning, knuckleheads," Mr. Pines greeted as he walked into the kitchen, wearing only his boxers and his white undershirt. "You three know what day it is?"

"Um... Happy anniversary?" Dipper guessed.

"Mazel tov!" Mabel brightened.

"National Doughnut Day?" I asked excitedly.

Mr. Pines then aggressively hit Dipper over the head with a newspaper out of nowhere. "It's Family Fun Day, genius!" he snapped. "And this time, we're bringing along 'Ms. football means soccer and chips means fries'," he said the last part, gesturing to me.

I raised a brow at him. "Wait?" I asked. "Why?"

"Don't question my choices," he threatened. Mr. Pines walked over to the fridge and opened the door as he began rummaging through it. "We're cuttin' off work and having one of those, you know," he paused and sniffed a carton of milk, "bonding-type deals."

"Grunkle Stan, is this gonna be anything like our last family bonding day?" Dipper asked his uncle.

"What happened last time?" I asked.

"Nothing illegal. That's for sure," Mr. Pines said, avoiding eye contact. I could tell he was lying.

Mabel shuddered. "The county jail was so cold," she murmured.

"All right, maybe I haven't been the best summer caretaker," Mr. Pines stated. "But I swear, today we're gonna have some real family fun. Now, who wants to put on some blindfolds and get into my car?"