10. The Time Traveler's Pig

Dani's POV

It was a nice summer day as I sat with Dipper in a sky tram. He had invited me over when he told me The Mystery Shack was having a town fair. Or as Mr. Pines called it, 'The Mystery Fair'. Dipper and I peacefully watched the skyline as we sat close, our arms resting on the sky tram's railing. Dipper calmly sighed. "This is nice..." he breathed. "Everything's peaceful, I'm with you, all seems right."

I smiled at him. "I agree," I said. "I feel as though nothing could go wrong..." I rested my head on my arms as did Dipper. Then a thought had crossed my mind. "So, how did your uncle pay for all this fair stuff anyway?"

Dipper's eyes then widened and he raised his head. "I don't think he did..." he said. We then started to hear the snapping of some kind of rope and looked up to see the cheap, old rope that was holding up the sky tram was breaking. We exchanged fearful looks before the rope completely broke off, causing us to fall. Both of us screamed until we crashed onto the hard ground belong us. I panted out of breath and blinked, realizing we were still alive but I felt sore. We spotted Mabel and Mr. Pines standing before us. "We think the sky tram is broken," Dipper told them.

"Also, most of our bones," I added.

"Haha, these two," Mr. Pines laughed at Dipper and I as we climbed out of the broken sky tram. "Alright, alright. I've got a job for you three."

I gave Mr. Pines a look. "I don't know how many times I keep saying this: I don't work for you," I said sternly, hoping it would get through.

He just stared at me. "You do now," he said flatly.

"What?" I asked, eyes wide.

"Welcome to the Mystery Shack and all that," he answered. I looked to Dipper and he just shook his head. I sighed in relief. "I printed up a bunch of fake safety inspection certificates," Mr. Pines stated, taking out a pile of papers. He handed Dipper the papers to which Dipper handed Mabel and me some. "Go slap one on anything that looks like a lawsuit."

"Grunkle Stan, is that legal?" Mabel asked cautiously.

"When there are no cops around, anything's legal!" Mr. Pines declared. He then looked off somewhere and shouted, "Soos, how's that dunk tank coming along?" and walked off.

I turned to the twins. "So where should we start, 'fellow employees'?" I joked and then giggled.

"Uh actually, you guys start without me," Dipper told us. "I, um, gotta go take care of something." And with that, he ran off.

I turned to his sister, eyebrow raised. "Well, that was somewhat strange," I mentioned but shrugged it off. "Anywho, you wanna start with the Ferris wheel first, Mabel?" She just looked at me like she was struggling to hold something back. "Mabel?"

She then finally burst out saying, "Dipper's gonna ask Wendy if she wants to hang out with him at the fair!" She hunched over and panted, out of breath.

"What?" I asked.

Mabel sighed. "Dipper wanted to ask Wendy and me being the supportive sister I am I just had to encourage him," she explained. "I'm sorry, Dani. I know you like him but he just seemed so... happy. And I kno—"

I cut her off by putting a hand on her shoulder. "Mabel, Mabel, it's okay," I assured. "I get it, seriously. And seeing Dipper happy makes me happy. I'll... try to smile for him and Wendy even if... it might break my heart." My face fell at the thought.

She smiled at me sympathetically. "Hey," she said and I looked up at her, "let's start at the Ferris wheel." I smiled back at her.

---